Database & Operations Senior Engineer at CNA
Individual contributor role within the Infrastructure Database Engineering and Operations area operates as the subject matter expert managing full lifecycle of Database Products and Services. This position works through external Managed Service Providers (MSPs) and other CNA teams to ensure the secure and stable operation of CNA's Database Infrastructure including availability reliability security performance and adherence to CNA's architecture standards. Supports the creation and communication of clear expectations and scope requirements that are provided to partner MSP(s) and CNA teams and that all agreed-upon outcomes are achieved on schedule within budget and with high quality. Acts as a key point of contact defining goals and measurements with the MSP teams building and maintaining strong relationships and measuring / monitoring performance to drive continuous improvement.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Provides end–to-end ownership and accountability of the global enterprise heterogeneous on premise and public cloud based Database platforms
- Defines standards design and work with external service providers to build manage optimize support and maintain heterogeneous Database environments
- Provides technical expertise on Database technologies in collaboration with other Infrastructure Leads Enterprise Architects Application Developers and Project Managers to deliver suitable database platform solutions meeting the business need.
- Contributes to improving and creating data platform policies procedures and operational standards as well as documenting the current data storage landscape
- Responsible for the availability performance and security of CNA's heterogeneous on- premise and public cloud based Database services & integrations.
- Participates in the measurement and monitoring of partner MSPs performance and reviews outcomes to determine how to derive continuous service improvements and to co-develop capabilities with partner MSPs for the purposes of reducing costs improving processes and innovating services
- Participates as required in collaborative efforts with other Infrastructure team members working with partner MSPs during major issues and day-to-day escalations and provide mentorship
- Renews and increases professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops reviewing professional publications establishing personal networks participating in professional societies etc.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above.
Skills Knowledge & Abilities
- Extensive experience on enterprise Database technologies including and not limited to Oracle Exadata MS SQL DB2 Sybase PostgreSQL MySQL MongoDB etc. and various data integration & transformation tools like IBM CDC Striim IICS etc.
- Extensive experience integrating with public cloud native services from GCP and 3rd party partner & client systems.
- Solid understanding of security practices such as LDAP SSL SSO and certificate management
- Experience in Data Warehouse systems Data Lake and BI solutions
- Extensive experience with various monitoring & tuning tools like OEM Nagios Dynatrace and product native tools
- Experience with SQL tuning on various platforms and scripting using PowerShell Python etc.
- Working knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux IBM AIX and Windows Server platforms
- Thorough and methodical in performance tuning and troubleshooting of complex issues
- Solid project management skills including Waterfall and Agile methodologies as well as the ability to organize and plan effectively to meet project goals.
- Solid ability to effectively interact and communicate (written and verbal) with all levels of external partner MSPs and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility team and/or matrix environment including offshore teams.
- Detail-orientation with proven analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to effectively plan and support multiple projects and project teams.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent work experience
- Typically a minimum of 7 years of related work experience preferably in designing deploying and managing heterogeneous Database technologies in a large enterprise.
- Experience in a business-facing IT role or similar experience providing customer service for an IT service.