Cloud / DevOps Engineer at Hoverstate (Provo, UT)
A True Technology Partner Committed to Your Success
Hoverstate is a full-service software development agency. We take the time to fully understand our clients unique challenges, so we can deliver a solution that fits their needs today, and helps them grow into who they want to be tomorrow.
We are seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer to focus on the needs of our Data Science team in Cloud DevOps engineering. The Data Science team focuses on building data pipelines, data warehouse solutions, and engineering processes, to transform mountains of unstructured data into actionable business insights. We primarily utilize Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Azure secondarily, depending on the project needs. Sticking to best practices and striving to have consistent and maintainable solutions is a business mission.
The Cloud / DevOps Engineer is responsible for provisioning, managing, and troubleshooting the cloud environments for Data Pipeline and Data Warehouse applications. They should be comfortable designing and maintaining solutions for a variety of applications and purposes. They should also help with creating and maintaining CI/CD jobs to build and release software to our environments using GitLab or other CI/CD tools.
The Cloud / DevOps Engineer will be eager to look for ways to improve environment maintenance and provisioning, including utilizing scripting tools to do many tasks. The role should provide infrastructure-level requirements and expectations for application development, such as logging, security, and other infrastructure-related requirements. Additionally, the role will help build out our DevOps / Engineering practice and may help train and mentor other DevOps Engineers and Developers as well.
Finally, while not required, it is highly encouraged for the DevOps engineer to be interested and partner with software developers to learn as much as possible about how the applications are designed and developed so that it is easier to understand the provisioning needs and techniques for troubleshooting.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design and build automation around deployment management in AWS and Azure utilizing the correct products/services available from both. This includes EC2 instances, Docker, Kubernetes clusters, application load balancers, storage buckets, VPCs, etc.
- Document, communicate, evangelize, advocate for infrastructure best practices and requirements for applications.
- Setup application and infrastructure-related monitoring and alerting.
- Help monitor and control cloud costs for non-production environments.
- Define and implement security best practices.
- Train and educate others within Technology about Cloud technologies
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and/or 2-3 years work experience as a DevOps Engineer in a professional environment.
- Hands-on experience designing and setting up physical or cloud-based infrastructure, including server setup and network configuration.
- Comfortable deploying infrastructure as code using source control, Terraform, CloudFormation as well as common CI/CD systems
- Exposure to broad range of IT infrastructure from Linux Ubuntu/CentOS to Windows Server
- Familiarity with the deployment of Data Pipeline Framework(Airflow, DBT), Cloud Datawarehouse (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery), and how best to design and optimize infrastructure for the architecture of the software application. Background in programming/scripting languages is a plus!
- Snowflake SnowPro Certified is a plus!
- Familiar with AWS and/or Azure and/or GCP technologies and services.
- Experience automating system engineering tasks using scripting languages such as PowerShell/Bash shell or Python scripts.
- Ability to communicate needs and problems clearly to software developers and account managers.
- Knowledge of best-practice security and backup procedures and techniques.
- Experience with HIPPA (and other PII) policies and requirements is a plus!