Next Insurance is a fast-growing startup based in Silicon Valley that is led by a team of experienced entrepreneurs with a history of successful outcomes. Our mission is to transform insurance for small businesses by combining world-class technology and phenomenal customer service to offer better insurance at a lower price. As the leading digital insurtech company transforming small business insurance, we just announced a $250 million new funding round, bringing the company’s valuation to $4 billion and total funding raised to more than $880 million!
Next Insurance is looking for explorers who are filled with curiosity, have the desire to travel the unbeaten path, and realize new heights in providing small business owners with the peace of mind to run their businesses. If you move fast, and are customer-focused and willing to challenge the status quo, Next Insurance might just be your next journey.
We are looking for Engineers who want to influence, build, learn, and deliver exceptional software. Our ideal candidate loves to work in an agile fashion and release to production often, but also builds a great architecture and design to take the company years ahead.
What You’ll Do:
- Our Backend Software Engineers can expect to work with the latest backend technologies and programming languages. We're big fans of server-side Kotlin and produce clean, testable code fast and push it into production several times a day via our CI / CD pipeline.
- You will work closely with other functional areas in the company - Product, Marketing, and our Front-end engineers in order to rapidly iterate on our product and find the best solutions to the challenges we face. You will take ownership of features - from inception through design and coding, eventually bringing your feature to production at a high level of quality and test coverage.
What We Need:
- 4+ years of proven experience in different types of OOP language, preferably in a JVM language (I.e, Java, Kotlin, Python, Scala, Groovy, Go, Clojure, and more)
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, or Mesosphere, a plus
- AWS experience (Kinesis, S3, Elastic Beanstalk)
- A profound understanding of design considerations (data structure choices, time vs. space tradeoffs)
- Hands-on development of concurrent / distributed systems, preferably cloud-based
- Strong SQL skills, preferably with MySQL
- As enthusiastic about programming as we are
- A team player with a positive spirit
- BSc in computer science or equivalent
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.