Product Design Manager, Manage Plan at GitLab
This Product Design Manager position for our Manage & Plan stages is 100% remote and open to candidates in AMER and EMEA tinmezones.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Product Design Manager at GitLab, you will be responsible for managing a team of 6+ talented Product Designers. Each of these Product Designers is embedded into a cross-functional product team within our Manage & Plan stages.
The Product Designers in these stages work on high-traffic, ever-maturing product categories, such as our issue tracking tools, access management capabilities, and compliance features. The work you’ll oversee will be impactful and highly visible to millions of our users around the world.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- You’ll advocate for good product design practices, ensure the visibility of product design across functions, create space for collaboration, and bring a deep level of subject matter expertise to the team.
- You’ll work with your direct reports to build out a UX strategy for your Manage team & Plan team that aligns with our mission, vision, and strategy.
- You’ll approach management in a way that is informed by our view on what is required of a Manager at GitLab. Here, we default to asynchronous communication, so your management style will need to work in the context of our all-remote, global team.
- You’ll collaborate with our R&D Leadership team to manage OKRs for our design practice. These OKRs will shape your team’s process, define your responsibilities as a manager, and feed into the responsibilities of your direct reports while enabling our company to meet its goals.
- You’ll play a part in the evolution of our design culture, as we continue to mature our UX practice.
- You’ll champion the importance of participation in critiques, content creation, and speaking engagements.
- You’ll foster a safe space for your team, where they’re comfortable sharing feedback and advocating for change they see as necessary.
- You’ll play a big part in hiring a team of world-class Product Designers. You’ll need to be highly engaged in the recruiting process as we scale our global team.
- You’ll work with cross-functional partners to identify and remedy pain points in our product development process, ensuring effective collaboration with our Product, Development, and Quality counterparts.
You should apply if:
- You’ve got, at minimum, a few years of experience managing Product or UX design teams of 4+ direct reports.
- You have experience managing designers who work on complex web applications, enterprise software, or developer tooling. Someone who will bring a deep understanding of project planning, analytics, or compliance tools will be preferred.
- You’ve got hands-on experience working on product strategy and product design for a complex enterprise application or SaaS tool.
- Your knowledge, vision, and experience will enable you to play a key role in shaping the next evolution of developer tooling.
- You enjoy advocating for user research and usability testing, and you continually look to improve your team’s user research and usability testing abilities.
- You want to manage a team that is designing a complex product with cross-functional users and continually evolving needs.
- The idea of playing a key part in the evolution of our Pajamas Design System is truly exciting to you.
- You understand frontend code, Git, and the limitations of frontend technology. You can demonstrate this through your hands-on coding skills with HTML/CSS/JS, command-line Git, or by showing us you have a deep understanding of the needs of engineers you’ve worked with previously.
- You’re comfortable with design reviews and occasionally being hands-on with design tools like Sketch or Figma.
- Mentoring, leading, and growing your team is truly motivating to you.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You'll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service are encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Product Design Manager position typically follows six stages. The details of this process can be found within our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.