Promenade (formerly Bloomnation) is a profitable startup backed by top Silicon Valley investors leading the charge to empower local businesses. A remote-first role with HQ in the heart of Santa Monica, the team is looking for a Director of Design & User Experience to join a growing Product organization that’s changing the way local commerce is done.
In this role, you will serve as a design leader who is accountable for the design strategy and execution at scale across all end-to-end experiences at Promenade. You will guide your team and work with other leaders and cross-functional team members to build and deliver the best possible experiences for our customers, for consumers, and for the Promenade brand.
You will lead a team that has passion for designing intuitive cross-platform experiences leveraging research, empathy, and prototyping. You will help us find, develop and retain top-notch design talent, and have a passion for coaching teams and guiding partners to address customer problems. The ideal candidate is comfortable both leading and working hands-on from high-level exploration to tactical solutions that support the product roadmap and meet user needs. At your core, you should be a problem-solver, comfortable finding solutions that fit our business needs while meeting engineering and market constraints. You’ll be a great fit if you’re passionate about design and want to empower local business growth.
- Lead team of designers and drive best practices in process, methodology, and scale to deliver against business and customer needs
- Guide UX efforts, including strategy, planning, and execution to remove blockers and keep design machine moving efficiently
- Work closely with product and engineering to build new experiences and visuals across multiple product lines, including consumer and B2B web applications
- Introduce and support frameworks to inform and validate design solutions including competitive analysis, user research, and discovery
- Collaborate closely with Product and Engineering to ideate, build, and ship high-quality work that drives business value within technical constraints
- Leverage and extend the use of design system, style guides, patterns and assets
- Own and make design decisions based on a deep understanding of user-centered design principles; you know when to follow existing paradigms and when to break them
- Assist with formulating and managing our product design roadmap and project planning
- Regularly give and receive feedback on designs and strategic product decisions
- Help drive continuous improvement in team performance and design quality
- At least 10 years experience working as a UX / UI Product Design Leader in a software company
- At least 4 years experience managing and building design teams
- Player / coach mentality with interest in mentoring along with willingness to roll up sleeves to contribute
- Experience designing digital experiences for consumer and enterprise products
- Portfolio showcasing functional and visually compelling work
- Experience applying user research methodologies and product data to inform design decisions
- Strong communicator who can effectively use storytelling to bring ideas to life
- Deep understanding of Responsive Design
- Proficiency in with standard design and prototyping tools, such as Figma, Miro, Sketch, and Invision, and Creative Suite
Benefits & Perks:
- Remote Product & Engineering teams with ability to work beachside in Santa Monica HQ for collaboration
- $185,000-$200,000 annual salary
- Equity/Stock options in a profitable and rapidly growing company
- Great Medical/Dental/Vision coverage + 401k
- Growth-oriented organization, including opportunities for career training and advancement
- Experience working in eCommerce
*No agencies or recruiters at this time*
More about us - Promenade
Promenade is a mission-driven company empowering local businesses with products and services that allow them to thrive online and offline. We build vertically-focused software catered to each industry we serve, leveling the playing field between the small business and large aggregators. Promenade was originally founded in 2011 as BloomNation, the nation’s premier network for local florists, disrupting the multi-billion dollar floral industry. After helping thousands of local florists across the country, we doubled down on our mission and began helping more small businesses who carried the same challenges of acquiring and retaining their own customers. Today, Promenade creates software for four industries - Floral (BloomNation), Food (Dig-in), Beverage (Swigg), and Breweries (Bevv). The company is based in Santa Monica, CA.
Backed by premier industry investors such as Andreessen Horowitz (AirBnB, Box, Facebook, Lyft, Twitter, etc.), Spark Capital (Tumblr, Upworthy, Warby Parker, etc.), and Crunch Fund (Square, Uber, etc.)
Named one of Entrepreneur’s “5 Sizzling Silicon Beach Startups to Watch”
Located one block away from the beach on the world-famous 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica
Why join Promenade?
If you want a front-row seat in seeing a company disrupt a massive industry and you love the idea of helping hardworking business owners that serve our local communities and neighborhoods, this is your place. At Promenade, everyone has a voice to create change and move the needle. No hierarchy, no bureaucracy, no politics...just real people working on solving real problems.