Guru helps teams build and surface the knowledge they need to do their jobs in real-time. With offices in Philadelphia and San Francisco, we are seeking experienced Data Engineer to be a key player in the Data Infrastructure team to develop and manage the scalable data pipelines in the AWS Cloud environment. The Data Engineer will collaborate with business analytics, data science, and software engineering teams, in building and optimizing an innovative product that our customers love to use every day.
This job is not only about the data; it’s about how you lend your positivity and presence, combined with your skills, to an energized environment and highly collaborative team.
- Own the Data Model: Own the design, monitoring, and deployment of DBT for the Biz Ops & Analytics team and Guru’s Self-Service BI deployment. This also includes certifying downstream data sources on our reporting platforms and warehouses.
- Iterate the Data Model for Speed: Optimize modeling and documenting new datasets as they become meaningfully impactful to the business for speed of query retrieval. This will regularly include answering the question “should this live in DBT or Mode?”. For context, we have several teams using these datasets on Zooms with customers where seconds vs. minutes make a big difference.
- Be a Business Partner: Partner with Analytics leads to automate business metrics that define success. Additionally, work with Analytics leads to optimize their use of data, either through query reviews, modeling exercises, or dashboard audits, aligning overall data architecture with business requirements
- Enable Data for All: Enable all Guru employees to adopt data as part of their business and usual via recorded Looms and “how-to”’s via Guru cards.
- Data Engineering Partnership: We have a small and nimble sister team (data infrastructure) that sits in Engineering. They own our AWS Redshift instance and primarily service Engineering requests. This role will have a closer partnership with the Data Infrastructure team, both from a strategic knowledge sharing/cross-functional best-practice sharing focus to more tactical business continuity perspective. This is an opportunity to ensure best practices are implemented company-wide while internalizing how the Data Infrastructure team operates in order to help from time to time.
- 7+ years of experience building/implementing/managing data pipelines, ideally in a modern data stack (for ex. DBT)
- 5+ years of experience with data engineering concepts and database design
- 2+ years of experience in DBT
- Expert-level SQL knowledge, specifically performance tuning of AWS RedShift and DBT
- Programming proficiency in Java or Python
- Proficiency using version control systems like Git
- Experience with ETL and analytics tools, such as DBT, Mode, Stitch and Airflow
Benefits to you:
- Competitive salary
- Employee Incentive Stock Option Plan
- Paid Parental, Family & Medical Leave
- Unlimited Vacation
- Professional Development Stipend
- Wellness Stipend
- Home Office Stipend
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Thrive After Five: in recognition of our long-tenured employees, Guru celebrates your five year anniversary with a $10,000 personal travel reimbursement
- Remote perks
- Generous medical benefits package
- Guru-sponsored company & team events, no matter where you work
Guru is a dynamic, fast growing start-up based in Philadelphia and San Francisco. Our mission is to reinvent the way people connect with meaningful information at work. Guru's knowledge management solution provides customer-facing teams access to expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. We believe in cultivating a welcoming, inclusive culture that encourages personal growth through working hard and having fun.
Launched in September 2015, our vision is backed by an amazing group of investors including FirstMark Capital, Salesforce, Michael Dell, the Slack Fund, Emergence Capital, Thrive Capital and Accel. As we enter the next exciting stage of expansion, we're searching for passionate individuals to join our rapidly growing team.
This is a full-time position that can be Remote or based out of our Philadelphia or San Francisco offices. Re-location and/or Visa Sponsorship is not included in our hiring package. Applicants will need to be authorized to work in the US.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All are welcome here. At Guru, being inclusive is very important to us. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification, veteran status or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at [email protected] to request accommodation.