Sr Engineering Manager- Fares Product at Uber
Uber's Marketplace Engineering team creates the technology behind our ridesharing marketplace by connecting riders with drivers at the push of a button. Our solutions expand user access, deliver reliability, and provide more transportation choices to users across our global markets.
About the Role
The Marketplace Fares team is a core part of Uber systems. Fares Product team's charter is to use ML, Data and optimization algorithms to build consumer facing innovative products to derive long term growth for Uber. The team processes fares for the entire Uber business, handling millions of trips & eyeball volume data & requests. We are looking for an experienced Senior Engineering Manager to lead this team and work closely with Product, DS and Engineering leadership to set vision, scale Fares Products, and build systems that handle large volumes of requests that need to make decisions within milliseconds. You will partner directly with ML & Data Engineers and have an opportunity to create world class ML models & platforms that support deep learning models to make a significant impact to Uber's business. Passion for solving hard business problems that touch millions of users globally in a low latency, scalability and resilient systems is critical for success in this role.
What You'll Do
- Drive vision, and strategy for the consumer-facing Fares Product teams using a depth of knowledge in machine learning and/or statistics
- Build a team of hardworking backend, ML, data and product engineers
- Partner effectively with cross-org engineering groups and other internal partners (ie. Product, Data Science) to formulate business problems and build the technical roadmap
- Provide technical leadership, influence and partner with your team to architect, design and build systems and platforms that can stand the test of scale and availability, while reducing operational overhead
- Build trust, foster a collaborative team culture and help grow the respective leaders in each of the focus areas
- 5+ years of experience leading Product and ML focused engineering teams
- 7+ years of experience in building consumer facing products at scale, using Machine Learning and Data, that impact business directly
- 2+ years of proven experience leading multiple teams through Engineering Managers and Technical Leads.
- BS/BE degree in Computer Science and related field
- MS or Ph.D. in a quantitative fields, e.g, machine learning, statistics, electrical engineering
- Engineering experience in hands-on software development with thoughtfulness of scale, latency and distributed architecture
- Knowledge of data-driven architecture and systems design
- Dedication to build a diverse and inclusive culture within teams
- Experience with converting business problems into ML problems
- A willingness and curiosity to learn both the systems and domain in which you will be solving problem statements
- Proven experience of shipping high-quality product features on schedule.
- Proven experience working across functions and organizational boundaries to effectively advocate for team, business, and company priorities.
- Proven track record of growing and mentoring accomplished staff ICs and EMs.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.