Senior Staff Software Engineer - Data Engine at Fivetran
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
Fivetran is building data pipelines to power the “modern data stack” for thousands of companies. We are looking for a talented, teamwork oriented software engineer to join our core platform team and perform a healthy mix of design and implementation tasks to advance the technical foundation behind the Fivetran product offering.
This team is tasked with evolving a high performance extract-load-transform data integration system that enables our engineering teams to correctly implement hundreds of data connectors with minimal maintenance effort. The role will challenge you to reason about relational semantics, powerful abstractions, data representation, and software performance. You don’t necessarily need to be a subject matter expert before you join us (you will be one before you leave!), but you will need to have experience working carefully with a high impact software team — especially in environments where the best option may not be obvious, your decisions have cascading implications, and where you sometimes need to measure twice before you cut once.
A successful candidate will be humble enough to collect diverse input and build consensus, will be experienced and confident enough to be decisive when it’s needed, and will be practical enough to build and iterate on the system while it’s in production. We are also looking for a high level of expertise and productivity with modern software development environments.
- Be a 10x engineer of the horizontally-scaled variety (you will build services and abstractions to help 100+ peers get 10% better)
- Learn deeply about Fivetran in order to focus development on practical and relevant system improvements
- Contribute to the development and planning of our platform roadmap
- Collaborate with a small but mighty core team, and with a broader set of stakeholders
- Work across the project lifecycle: requirements, design, prototype, implementation, review, release, monitoring
- Review and approve technical design documents and pull requests
- Mentor other senior members of the team on their own challenges
- Care and feel ownership of our product platform, and leverage your skills towards improving it
- You are execution-oriented, and understand the need to target your “innovation budget” for the greatest impact
- You know how to design and code systems and software that is effective, intuitive, easy-to-operate, and elegantly simple
- You have worked with the relevant tooling and techniques: cloud services, network protocols, serialization, relational databases, etc.
- You are skilled at communicating technical topics and risks to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You are adept at inclusive alignment discussions: balancing soliciting input with influencing and advocating
- You have built and evolved a library, a domain-specific language or other powerful abstraction that is widely used
- You have worked on a platform or engineering enablement team and helped your peers deliver better software
- You have deep experience with relevant data services, infrastructure, and tools
- You have a dry sense of humor and can make data-warehouse-related jokes
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Work-from-home equipment reimbursement for your home office setup!
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance -- and yes, you can bring your well-behaved fur babies to work
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Integrity, Initiative, and One Team, One Dream. To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.