Senior Database Engineer - Dallas, TX at H-E-B
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 420+ stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $34 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 145,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Since H-E-B Digital Technology's inception, we've been investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital--we're using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. If you enjoy taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way. In the Senior Software Engineer job, that means you have a...
HEART FOR PEOPLE... you can organize multiple engineers, negotiate solutions, and provide upward communication
HEAD FOR BUSINESS... you consistently demonstrate and uphold the standards of coding, infrastructure, and process
PASSION FOR RESULTS... you're capable of high-velocity contributions in multiple technical domains
H-E-B Digital Fulfillment is looking for a passionate, seasoned, and driven Senior Database Engineer with a proven track record of engineering success. Our fulfillment partners (employees) collaborate to design, construct, implement and support everything H-E-B Curbside and Delivery. You will work closely with shared services teams, platform engineering, software engineering teams, and our operations partners to maximize reliability, availability, and performance of our database systems.
This role will empower you to drive strategies, standards, and improvements of our databases as well as generally guide data layer decisions across multiple teams.
Once you're eligible, you'll become an Owner in the company, so we're looking for commitment, hard work, and focus on quality and Customer service. "Partner-owned" means our most important resources-People-drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Omnichannel Retailing Company.
Do you have a:
HEART FOR PEOPLE... interpersonal skills?
HEAD FOR BUSINESS... a systematic problem-solving approach?
PASSION FOR RESULTS... drive for automation and continuous improvement?
What is the work?
- Researching, developing, and driving data layer strategies, capabilities, and improvements
- Mentoring software engineers on SQL best practices and providing them with database technical support
- Monitoring databases and related systems to ensure optimized performance
- Reviewing database usage, as well as system information to discover and drive improvements
- Adhering to best practices in securely storing, backing up, and archiving data
- Documenting processes related to database design, configuration, and performance
- Keeping abreast of developments and best practices in SQL and NoSQL practices
- Experience with microservices architecture patterns
- Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals: data structures and algorithms
- Experience with cloud computing
Example database focused projects?
- Identify problematic database queries by analyzing workload and implementing corrective solutions
- Implement a partitioning strategy framework for large tables
- Implementing building blocks to efficiently load, analyze and migrate data
- Analyze and optimize tables by adding indexes, separate tables, or by removing unnecessary columns
- Review, optimize and refactor the existing database schema
- Rewriting the database queries and related application logic
- Improve index usage (removing unused or adding missing indexes, etc.)
- Improve our application-side database load balancing implementation
- Reviewing database related changes submitted by other developers
- Documenting database best practices and patterns to avoid
What is your background?
- Bachelor's degree or higher in information systems, information technology, computer science, or similar
- Applicable database licensing, certification, and registration
- Require 5+ years of professional engineering experience developing, managing, or supporting distributed systems
- Require 3+ years of database engineering experience managing PostgreSQL (or other relational databases)
- Prefer 2+ years of Java (Spring) programming experience
- Experience with tools such as Gitlab, JIRA, Slack, and Confluence
- Experience working with PostgreSQL (preferred), Kubernetes, Docker, Linux, GCP, Terraform, and APIs using REST
- In-depth understanding of relational databases, SQL and query optimization techniques and demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent performance problems
- In-depth understanding of SQL and NoSQL principles
- Extensive experience with database technologies and architecture
- Sound knowledge of best practices in database engineering and data security
Do you have what it takes to be a fit as an H-E-B Database Engineer?
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Exhibit a team and partner first mentality
- Exhibit an ownership mentality
- Enjoy learning new technologies as they emerge
- Function in a fast-paced, retail, office environment
- Travel by car or plane with overnight stays
- Work extended hours; sit for extended periods; work rotating and on-call schedules