Senior Data Scientist
In a world where shipping expectations and complexity are greater than ever, Shipwell is on a mission to empower supply chain efficiency at scale across every company size, stage, and industry. Supply chain solutions today are highly disconnected, rigid, and difficult to use, but Shipwell is disrupting the status quo. Our solution combines everything our customers need in a comprehensive platform that adapts as the market and business demands change, so they can effectively manage the entire process in one place and never have to rip and replace. Shipwell is proud to be recognized by industry experts as a leader in shipping and logistics, including Gartner Magic Quadrant for TMS and Forbes 2020 Next Billion-Dollar Startup. Join us and be part of the Shipping Evolution(R)
Shipwell is a fast-paced, high-energy start-up that strives to build the future of shipping every day. Diversity of thought and cross-department collaboration is very important to us. We deliver open, honest, careful communication and work as hard as we play. We create & deliver solutions that are revolutionizing the industry, which brings excitement and purpose to our work. If you are looking for a place that will help you tap into your best work-self and give you hands-on experience building something big, then we invite you to come and build the future of shipping with us!
About the Role
The Data and Analytics team at Shipwell is a team helping to build the future of logistics. The vision of this team and for this role, is to bring machine learning and deep learning techniques, along with experimental approaches to solving logistical problems. This is not your typical role. We are a scrappy team that is helping a company grow and be the next leader of logistics. If you want to develop new ideas that other companies shy away from, we are your place to be. Do you want to work with great engineers, product teams and SME’s? Then Shipwell is your place. What we need is someone who wants to make a difference. We have plenty of projects to work on, you won’t be doing the same thing over and over again, you will be challenged and you will be able to put your stamp on work that will impact many of the brands you probably know and use today and be able to say, you made a difference. Sounds interesting, read on.
Essentially we are looking for a senior data scientist who knows data engineering as well. Can you help manage and troubleshoot tools like Fivetran, Snowflake or Databricks? Great. Do you really understand predictive analytics, optimizers and recommenders and how to build world class machine learning algorithms, great, we want to talk. Do you want to be a part of a company that will allow you to grow?
Sr Data Scientist will lead the ideation, design, development, and adoption of Machine Learning models to drive both qualitative and quantitative business outcomes. Identify ML-DL opportunities to reduce enterprise operational risk for customers, detect anomalous behaviors, enhance efficiencies, model Voice of Customer, Predictive Analytic, Optimization, NLP, etc. The role requires leading and mentoring data scientist teams in the execution of complex data science initiatives, translating business objectives into modeling outcomes; identifying data sources for use in modeling; designing and / or selecting the optimal choice of algorithms; and integrating models with production systems in partnership with engineers on cloud platforms within an agile team framework.
What you’ll do when you get here:
- Be a change ambassador who exhibits tech-forward and customer-obsessed principles in co-creating data-driven advanced analytics solutions that deliver on strategic priorities
- Rigorously test multiple machine-learning algorithms using the testing framework established and select the best performing model using established criteria. Consult with other Data Science members and SME colleagues in model selection. Set and evaluate model performance metrics post-production as well as service level requirements
- Document technical design specifications covering some of the following details:
- Feature analysis
- Data analysis including data gathering, data preparation etc.
- Build & deployment steps
- Identifying areas of research and get the team involved in exploring new methods and techniques related to different aspects of building machine learning models.
- Be involved in mentoring the Jr team members
- Defines architectures, frameworks, tools and technologies for analytic capabilities, works with IT architects and data science team to understand the IT and analytics roadmaps and influence solutions and tools required to achieve business outcomes.
- Coordinate with leadership and vendors on data engineering roadmap
- Support, measure and maintain data engineering capabilities by collaborating with IT, Product and Data leadership. Actively recommend upgrades and decommissioning of analytic functions and capabilities in the tech stack.
What you need to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Physics, Data Science Computer Science, CIS, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in Data or BI Engineering or Data Science
- Superior communication and persuasion skills; talent for storytelling, visualization and creating insights from data to deliver practical recommendations for business action
- Track record of using advanced statistical modeling and machine learning to drive significant cost savings and / or revenue.
What is Preferred:
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Physics or related field.
- Experience with Snowflake, Databricks, Cloud providers and Looker.
- Experience working with tools such as Datadog.
- 4+ years of experience working with source code control systems
- Experience working with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment tools
- Ability to demonstrate creative problem solving and solution building
- 401k plan (including match)
- Generous parental leave
- Competitive salary and equity opportunity
- Team building events and office competitions
- Friendly, talented, and inclusive company culture
- Office in Austin, TX or 100% remote
- Health, vision, dental, teladoc, HSA, FSA, & Life insurance
- Incredible growth opportunity at a fast growing company
- Subsidized wifi, cell phone, and educational reimbursements
- Receive an elite technology package to include a brand new MacBook Pro!
---The Salary Range for this role is between $150,000 - $170,000 based on Years of Experience, Skillset, and Location.
Here at Shipwell, we are a Remote Forward company. You have the opportunity to work within our office located in Austin, TX or you can choose to be fully remote.
Shipwell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any sort. We do celebrate diversity and believe experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Diversity in our team makes for better problem solving, more creative thinking, and ultimately a better product and company culture.
Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of impact, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fast paced and collaborative environment. Shipwell strives to have an inclusive work environment; so if you are hard working & good at what you do then please come as you are. We want you to contribute, grow, & learn at Shipwell and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
We are looking forward to adding new perspectives to our team!
For more information about Shipwell visit shipwell.com, or connect with us on Twitter @shipwell, LinkedIn, and Facebook.com/Shipwellinc