Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And this is just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition is to transform the home ownership experience, by identifying and addressing potential issues before they arise. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to develop insights and models to guide operational and strategic decisions.
- Highly curious, creative, and self-motivated.
- Biased towards actions and developing practical, systematic solutions.
- Can dig into a new space and become an expert, while keeping an eye on the big picture.
- Enjoy exploring large, messy data sets to extract signal and insights.
- Effectively balance rigor and precision with simplicity and speed of execution.
What You'll Do
- Conduct complex statistical analyses to uncover key drivers of the business.
- Create compelling presentations with actionable recommendations.
- Design and analyze experiments to guide product decisions.
- Develop models to optimize operational decisions.
- Research methods to answer complex questions; mentor junior team members.
What You’ll Need
- At least 4 years of industry experience as a data scientist
- Advanced Degree in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative fields
- Deep understanding of statistics, machine learning, and research methods
- Strong coding skills in SQL and Python
- Excellent communication skills including ability to present complex findings to non-technical audiences
- Great business intuition and ability to generate hypotheses alone
- Familiarity with actuarial and insurance metrics is a plus
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.