An individual contributor role that provides a high level of expertise in the design development and integration of strateg ic high-priority data applications across the entire software development lifecycle (Agile). This role may also provide guidance to others to support the building of complex technical capabilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Participates in the building of large-scale data processing systems and data lakes optimized for both computational and storage efficiency on Google Cloud Platform. Applies technical knowledge on data modeling and best engineering practices.
- Working as a key team member delivers results creating value for the CNA brand customers and key internal stakeholders. Works with external (and offshore) resources as required.
- May lead or sub-lead the design implementation and automation of data pipelines sourcing data from internal and external systems transforming the data for the optimal needs of various systems and business requirements.
- May lead or sub-lead robust unit testing to ensure deliverables match the design and provides expertise to support subsequent release testing.
- Actively adheres to established quality and reliability standards and ensures team adheres to the same quality and standards working in an Agile development environment.
- May lead or sub-lead the design of complex physical data models projects and cloud-based data lake constructs including SQL/NoSQL database systems. May lead or sub-lead the creation of integrated data views based on business or analytics requirements.
- Researches identifies and implements process improvements that address complex technology gaps. Builds strong knowledge of technology enablers.
- May lead or sub-lead the design and building of data solutions and applications that enable reporting analytics data science and data management.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies. Drives the evolution of CNA application development processes and standards.
- Applies machine learning to work as applicable.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong knowledge of relational database concepts ETL/ELT star schema data modeling.
- Strong data integration design and development ensuring accuracy and ease of consumption. Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Proficient in Python or advanced SQL in a business environment with large-scale complex datasets.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with peers and team members in a highly matrixed environment.
- Preferred experience in building data analytics solutions using Google Cloud Platform services such as Google BigQuery Cloud Storage Dataflow DataProc Pub/Sub Cloud Composer or DataPrep. AWS including Amazon Redshift Postgres Elastic MapReduce a plus.
- Preferred experience with the insurance industry its products and services.
- Experience in implementing big data processing technology. Apache Spark preferred.
- Working knowledge of Business Intelligence tools preferred.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree with Master's preferred in Computer Science Information Technology related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Typically 5+ years of experience in data analytics or application development.
- 2+ years of coding proficiency in at least one programming language (Python Java SQL).
- Experience using Agile methods preferred.
- Applicable certifications preferred (GCP Data Engineering).