Here at Pex, we're on a mission to democratize digital rights for everyone. We are the team behind the Attribution Engine, a licensing infrastructure for the Internet enabling fair compensation and increased access to content. With its advanced identification technology, Attribution Engine ensures compliance and safety for platforms, gives rightsholders total control of their content, increases access and confidence for creators, helps law enforcement prevent toxic content, and provides brand safety for advertisers.
Building the first solution capable of identifying, attributing, and licensing content in real-time, even before it’s published, is no small feat, so we’re looking for a new Senior Data Engineer to join us on our quest to bring freedom, fairness, and transparency to the Internet.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be a key member of the Data Acquisition team and will be involved in building, maintaining, and evolving the data pipeline that will support Pex's data-driven business approach. Our scale is massive, so scalability and maintainability must always be top of mind.
Our engineering organization is made up of fully distributed and cross-functional teams that have talented engineers from various backgrounds and skill levels. The Data Acquisition Team currently includes a Staff Data Architect, four Senior Backend Engineers and a Site Reliability Engineer.
At Pex, we value transparency and clear communication, and we strive to create an environment where all team members feel safe and supported to take initiative, experiment, learn from mistakes, and share opinions freely.
We’re looking for an accomplished and pragmatic data engineer who will work on the implementation of our data vision across the organization. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will:
• Participate in building data pipelines
• Work on data pipeline maintenance and evolution
• Provide guidance to other team members in matters related to data pipeline best practices
Pex’s Unified Analytics Architecture
Pex aspires to become a data-driven company. Our data architecture follows a unified analytics approach where we are leveraging a single modern cloud-native data platform to enable all types of workloads (batch/stream), all types of consumer profiles (BI & Reporting / ML & AI), and all types of data (structured, semi-structured and unstructured).
To this end, we have chosen Snowflake as our cloud data platform implementing a Data Lakehouse architecture pattern. Our technology stack also includes dbt+Airflow for data transformation and for our ingestion layer, we use Debezium for CDC-based extract and load operations, and Apache Pulsar as our message queue. Today we offer BI functionality embedded in our core AE product and we are currently looking into modern BI platforms to include in our technology stack.
We have a lot of people who did not follow the traditional career path. We value people who are curious and collaborative and bring their unique perspectives to work each day. While we’re excited to learn what you can bring to the team, there are a few key things you’ll need that are essential to success in this role:
• SQL experience is required as the base of any data-related work
• Ability to work with multiple source formats (text, xml, json)
• Experience with DB engines (PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, etc) and parallel processing
• Deep understanding of large-scale data architectures
• Deep understanding of data warehousing concepts, data update strategies, data modeling, data pipelines, and workflows
• Experience in building production-level data pipelines with the use of ETL/ELT tools and/or SQL
• Proven experience with data management over large volumes of data
• A modest attitude which is a key for good collaboration
• Outstanding communication skills in English (both spoken and written)
Perks and Benefits
• Salary: $108,200 - $122,400 USD/year
• Equity, with perks like a 10-year exercise window
• 30 days of paid time off + 9 paid holidays + the day off on your birthday
• Generous paid parental leave
• A fully remote working environment and supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and
Pex is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Since Pex is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals, we strive to ensure that people with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please let us know when applying for a particular role in the “Additional Information” section.
More Information on Pex
Pex operates in the Big Data industry. The company is located in Los Angeles, CA. Pex was founded in 2014. It has 104 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Friends outside of work, Open door policy, Team owned deliverables, Group brainstorming sessions, Documented equal pay policy and Hiring Practices that Promote Diversity. To see all 5 open jobs at Pex, click here.
Read Full Job Description