Are you the person who leads their team in replacing an aging system, or dives into the guts of a running system to fix that bug everyone is happy to gloss over? Do you love making complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable? Keep reading.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses, but who connects search queries to 180M+ reviews on millions of businesses in under 400 milliseconds? Who selects the perfect ad from millions of options in the blink of an eye? And after that user has found the perfect restaurant and is happily munching on their quinoa salad, who makes sure our logs are transported, transformed, and indexed so we can do even better next time? We do! The platform engineers at Yelp make these systems work fast, efficiently, and at scale.
We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our team and build elegant, scalable platforms that bring the potential of data streams to Yelp’s features teams. From transporting events reliably between services and datastores with Kafka to processing massive streams of data in real-time with Flink and Beam, our team offers simple abstractions to power a whole host of personalized experiences for Yelp’s users and drive optimizations for Yelp’s advertising businesses.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager and mentor. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
This opportunity requires you to be located in the United Kingdom.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Build platforms that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data and power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users 24/7 at ever increasing scale.
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency, and availability depending on the problem.
- Participate in a light on-call rotation, handing off to US-based teams during the night time; no getting woken up in the middle of the night by a 3am page!
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Several years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems.
- Experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems such as Apache Kafka, Apache Flink, Apache Beam, Apache Spark or Kubernetes.
- Mentorship experience is highly welcomed.
- Experience operating TB scale data warehouse or data lake technologies such as AWS Redshift, AWS Athena / Apache Presto, AWS S3 and so on.
- A deep understanding of programming languages and the systems you've worked on.
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- A hunger for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways.
- A love for writing beautiful code -- we use Python, Java & Scala; you don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job.
- Comfort running services or batches in a Unix environment.
- A minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values.
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- 25 days paid holiday (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday.
- £150 monthly reimbursement to help cover remote working expenses.
- £75 caregiver reimbursement to support dependent care for families.
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- £56 per month to use toward qualifying wellness expenses.
- Quarterly team offsites.
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
More Information on Yelp
Yelp operates in the Information Technology industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA and New York, NY. Yelp was founded in 2004. It has 7236 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits and Life Insurance. To see all 166 open jobs at Yelp, click here.
Read Full Job Description