More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all. Since most financial institutions rely on traditional credit scoring to assess risk, that means these people can't access affordable financial products. Instead, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which push them into deeper cycles of debt.
Pinwheel provides an API platform that makes it easy to connect payroll accounts like ADP and Gusto to any app. By unlocking the wealth of identity, income and employment data that sits in these systems, alongside direct access to paychecks, we can help build the next generation of financial products that increase access for the underserved while improving the businesses of our partner fintechs, banks, and lenders.Who are we looking for?
As our first Data Scientist, you will play a key factor in driving Pinwheel’s next stage of growth. More concretely, you will be responsible for:
- Unlocking the next line of revenue generating products for Pinwheel.
- Building data science frameworks for solving complex business problems and driving improvement to key business metrics.
- Spearheading the efforts to collect new data and enrich existing data.
- Mentoring other team members to level up the data and analytics function.
- Cultivating strong partnerships with executive, product, and engineering stakeholders in launching industry-defining products using income and employment data.
- 7+ years of experience as a data scientist.
- Ability to code independently using data technologies - SQL, Python, Jupyter Notebooks, and latest Data / ML libraries.
- Expertise in data science and ML techniques along with their mathematical models, such as regression, classification and clustering.
- Strong product orientation coupled with relentless curiosity.
- Ability to thrive in an agile, rapidly changing, and collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence cross-functional partners.
- Master’s degree or above in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related disciplines.
- Prior experience working with user data and/or direct to consumer tech.
- Experience working in an AWS environment.
- Prior data engineering experience.
Best Time to Join - We are small but well-funded, meaning you get the upside of starting on the bottom floor with minimal risk.
Be a Cultural Founder - You will have an active hand in molding our culture and being a part of the growth journey.
Build Something Revolutionary - Help build the consumer data infrastructure of the future.
- Great compensation & equity packages
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Life & short-term disability insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid parental leave
- 401K for retirement planning
- Mentorship opportunities
- Free Citibike membership
- Pet friendly offices and Zoom spaces
At Pinwheel, we are committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We believe that having people across different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives enables us not only to build the best financial products, but to help us realize the best versions of ourselves. Pinwheel is an equal opportunity employer, and we aim to be an open and supportive place to work.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, Pinwheel requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as permitted under applicable law.