Invest- Technical Business Analyst at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What you’ll do
- Work on a team of business stakeholders to clearly define business requirements, functional models and technical documentation at a conceptual level for business functions, features, workflow enhancements and new products.
- Help drive initiatives to introduce new functionality designed to enhance the Investment experience on M1 finance super-app and the infrastructure to scale and support.
- Participate in the project discovery process, preparation of the business scoping documents and alignment with engineering/ development for project sizing/ estimation.
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to ensure that development meets the defined functional and technical requirements.
- Ability to demo project progress to the business stakeholders periodically and coordinate feedback.
- Monitor the competitive landscape and propose actionable recommendations aligned with the company's roadmap.
- 2+ years working with analytics or product at a fintech, investment bank, asset management or financial services institution OR subject matter expertise in retail investing, trading, or trade operations along with education in a relevant field.
- Experience creating flowcharts and process mapping.
- Strong knowledge of tools such as Confluence, Excel, Jira, Miro, Lucidchart etc.
- Experience assisting in the development of strategic platform initiatives with cross-functional groups.
- Able to operate independently, acting as a self-starter and creative problem solver.
- Experienced in delivering against milestones on a timely basis and to a high standard without management intervention.
- Knowledge of SQL and/or data modeling and analysis tools.
- Technology background preferred. Ability to discuss and help define development goals.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym