At Apartment List, we’re on a mission to find every renter a home they love at the value they deserve. As the fastest-growing online rental marketplace, our platform takes the time to understand renters’ preferences and seamlessly finds their perfect match while aligning incentives with our properties on-site. To date, we’ve helped nearly 1 million families find a home they love, and we’re just getting started. Join us!
Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, you will lead the Data Science team (you and 2 Data Scientists)on their mission of applying machine learning to solve customer and business problems. You will be responsible for identifying the areas where machine learning can be applied to solve customer or business problems and developing a full suite of ML products. You will partner with Product, Engineering, Design, Analytics and Growth to prioritize and execute models and measure their impact. You will be a Director on the R&D leadership team and play a key role in shaping the company roadmap and advancing the product to the next level.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Deeply understand the customer problems, business problems, data and full spectrum of related modeling technologies to map out the full suite of ML products that could benefit AL
- Set the team’s technical strategy and roadmap, act on technical strategies, define clear scope, scale and timeline and hold the team accountable
- Partner closely with Engineering, Product, Analytics, Growth and Design to intelligently connect renters and properties and reach shared business goals
- Deliver and deploy end-to-end ML models, build measurement plans, learn and iterate to drive results
- Leverage understanding of metrics, solid statistical mindset and business strategy to help define the roadmap of the company
- Mentor and develop Data Scientists to grow their soft and hard skills
- Communicate broadly, clearly and often the opportunities and the results of applying ML - to stakeholders at all levels of the organization
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- Experience with a broad set of statistical and machine learning methods to solve and optimize critical business problems and metrics
- Experience leading an AI team in building data products, taking them to the market and iterating and improving them over time
- Ph.D. in Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Physics or related quantitative field or Master's degree with 8+ years of experience in the field of machine learning or AI
- Strong both technically and theoretically in statistical learning and modeling, engineering, experimental design and analysis, causal inference, etc
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with cross-functional audiences
- Able to quantitatively research and act on technical strategies, define clear scope, scale and timeline for holding the team accountable
And here is what’s in it for you:
- An exceptional team: our hiring bar is absurdly high and your colleagues are talented, motivated, self- starters
- An incredible opportunity to build out a critical function
- A seat at the table on R&D leadership, and a chance to influence our product and company strategy
- A virtual-first culture that allows you to work from anywhere
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed, we encourage you to apply.