At Springboard, we’re on a mission to bridge the world’s skills gap, offering transformative online education in data science and machine learning, UI/UX design, coding, and cyber security. Our courses may be tech-enabled, but we're ultimately human-centric: each student taps into a vast community throughout their time with us, engaging with fellow students, industry-expert mentors, student advisors, and career coaches -- our end goal being to successfully help students transition into their dream jobs in new careers. Through this hybrid approach, we’ve helped thousands of learners revamp their careers and, by extension, their lives, with hundreds of top-notch job offers received by our students every year. We’re an analytical and data-driven, empathetic and supportive, well-funded series B company with ~150 employees.
We’re looking for our first Director of Data and Analytics to take the company’s data function and capabilities from start-up to established. This will involve a combination of leading the centralization of our distributed company data analytics resources, envisioning and executing on growing our data function and data capabilities roadmap (including hiring for our first data scientist), and partnering closely with cross-functional teams and leadership to heighten data-driven decision-making.
This role will be empowered to build the future of Springboard’s data capabilities, leveraging existing infrastructure and historical work. Reporting to the Director of Business Operations, Strategy, and Analytics (and in the future, our CFO) this individual will enable both the company’s growth (expanding our existing product offerings and launching new business lines), as well as the efficiency and effectiveness of all of our functional teams.
This is a unique opportunity to design and build a new data science and analytics function for a data-driven company that is solving exciting and life-transforming problems in education technology. If this sounds energizing and exciting, this role may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for!
- Design, build, and drive the data organization, including the centralization of existing data talent (across product, operations functions, sales) and develop future hiring plans
- Develop Springboard’s data capabilities including introducing data science resources and skillsets
- Establish and introduce best practices, including proper documentation norms, naming conventions and QA processes, and quarterly / yearly planning
- Manage and mentor the data team through regular feedback, goal setting, support and thoughtful career pathing
- Support in execution of critical analytics projects, driving insights for functional leaders and the executive team; not afraid to lean in on analytics projects alongside team management
- Partner with our backend tech team in reviewing, designing, and optimizing our data architecture and ETL pipelines; flexibility to take more or less responsibility over data engineering depending on skillset
- Own strategic decisions for our data analytics infrastructure such as BI tool selection and design; flexibility to take more or less responsibility over data architecture depending on skillset
- Proactively and constructively question the status quo, influence change within the organization to enable growth
- Have 6+ years of overall experience, including 4+ in a technical data analytics and/or data science role; you have a successful track record of designing experiments, building and implementing best practices and infrastructure, and delivering clearly communicated insights and recommendations; are proficient in python, SQL, and excel
- Have 2-3+ years of people management experience as well; you know how to provide an exceptional and engaging employee experience on a growing team. Able to retain high-caliber talent.
- Are able to properly attract, recruit, evaluate and hire technical roles such as Data Scientists and (bonus) Data Engineers
- Able to listen to stakeholder concerns and derive key questions to be answered and addressed; are able to then scope out and deliver work on time
- Aren’t afraid to get into the weeds on projects to support a small but mighty team; you’re still excited to get your hands dirty if or when needed (i.e. supporting on a BI tool migration under a tight timeline or helping work through a complex analytics challenge)
- Have experience prioritizing projects and focusing on what matters; you are able to think through trade-offs on value and effort and own quarterly planning for yourself and for direct reports
- Preferred but not required: are familiar with data architecture design and ETL best practices and tools; data engineering and data pipeline experience
The Springboard team of 220 works out of offices in the heart of San Francisco and Bengaluru. We’re backed by top investors, including Costanoa Ventures, Reach Capital, Learn Capital, Pearson Ventures, and the founders of LinkedIn and Princeton Review.
Working with us, you’ll enjoy competitive compensation, health insurance coverage, a 401k plan, generous learning and professional development budgets, and an opportunity to impact thousands of lives alongside a fun, dedicated and mission-driven team. To learn more about our team and culture, follow us on Instagram @springboardlife!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Springboard is required to inform California residents who are job applicants about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. This notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.
Read Full Job Description