Data Science Manager - Platform Data Science at Uber
About the Role
We are looking for a Tech Lead Manager to join the Platform Data Science team! Our team:
- Develops geospatial technologies that underlie Uber's systems--GPS location inference, travel time prediction, route recommendation, navigation, pickup & dropoff location setting and experience optimization, etc.
- Develops general machine learning approaches which are being applied in personalization and recommendation for various services at Uber.
- Develops Experimentation design and measurement methodologies which powers the experimentation platform at Uber. This platform is critical in providing reliable, trustworthy and agile experimentation and experiment analysis to power business decisions across the entire Uber ecosystem
- Maintains the core financial data and provides key business insights on core company-level KPIs such as revenue, profitability.
What You'll Do
- Lead a team of data scientists. Provide people management, technical and professional guidance for them. For example, lead the data science team for the experimentation platform.
- Work closely with leads from engineering and product to develop technical vision and drive the team direction.
- Develop and build robust scalable solutions to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning and statistics.
- Propose and guide framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions.
- Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams.
- Ph.D., MS or Bachelors degree in, Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative field. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience required)
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets
- Proficiency in languages and tools like SQL, Hive, and Spark
- Management experience
- Minimum 3 years of industry experience.
- Experience managing a team of data scientists.
- Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Economics / Econometrics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines.
- Experience in experiment design and analysis and more generally causal inference.
- Experience in algorithm development and prototyping.
- Management experience: 2 years
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.