Data Engineer at Bixal (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 7:19 p.m. (CST) on Friday, June 10, 2022
Who we are:
Bixal is a mission-driven, woman-owned small business determined to improve people's lives through human-centered strategies and transformative technologies, with a firm belief that everyone has the right to an effective government.
We deliver on this belief by partnering with leading Federal agencies to design, develop, and deliver powerful customer experiences through holistic digital product solutions and strategic communications initiatives––bringing a high standard and unique creative energy to our clients––and our wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible.
Bixal unites different people with different perspectives from all over the world! We provide our team with an open and empowered environment where collaboration thrives and solutions flourish.
This role can work remotely from anywhere in the USA. You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Bixal does not provide visa sponsorship.
What Will You Do?
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our growing team of experts. The hire will be responsible for optimizing critical Federal data and data pipeline architectures, as well as optimizing data flows for downstream use by cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems, while understanding the flow from ingestion points to delivery to syndicators. The Data Engineer will support database architects, data analysts and data scientists on initiatives. They will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent. They must be self-directed and comfortable collecting requirements from multiple teams and systems. The right candidate will be excited to positively impact millions of Americans by infusing their knowledge into the Federal government’s data processes.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal ELT of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that leverage the data pipeline to provide insights into data quality and other key metrics.
- Interact with technical assistance teams to assist with data-related technical issues at the Federal and State levels.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in data systems.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Ability to resolve complex ingestion issues due to evolving data layouts and formats.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large datasets.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with a bachelor’s degree in a math or technology field and 4+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, or a commensurate combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- Experience with ‘big data’ tools: Hadoop, Spark, EMR, and AWS Glue.
- Experience with databases: MySQL, SQL Server and Redshift.
A successful candidate should also have experience using the following software/tools:
Nice to Have:
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Has built processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Working knowledge of data visualization tools: MicroStrategy, QuickSight, etc.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
Work from home flexibility
401K with matching incentive
Flex Spending Account
Company provided short-term disability
Company provided life insurance
11 Paid holidays
Professional development opportunities
New business referral bonus
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.
More Information on Bixal
Bixal operates in the Analytics industry. The company is located in Fairfax, VA and Washington, DC. Bixal was founded in 2001. It has 162 total employees. To see all 20 open jobs at Bixal, click here.
Read Full Job Description