Individual contributor provides highest level of expertise for big data technologies, architecture, development, specification and communication of firm's scalable data architecture for the data transformation from legacy to cloud, focus primarily on Data & Analytics solutions and advises cross-functional teams in the implementation of a phased approach to moving CNA's legacy analytics systems to cloud graduating from near-term "quick wins" to full "self-service" over time. This position involves working in collaboration with Domain Architects, Solution Architects, Digital Architects and Cloud Architects, to ensure it reflects synergies and dependencies with core technology trends and priorities (e.g. Cloud migration, Information Security and Infrastructure), as well as clearly articulates synergies and dependencies across the business units in solidifying target IT application rationalization strategy.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Self-starter and ability to define and hold the big picture while executing on a piece of it, and reduce technical debt while enhancing Data Transformation.
- Works with leads to design and architect BI strategies to unlock the value inside legacy IT for various channels and back-end systems.
- Research, recommend, design and architect Business Intelligent solutions and help accelerate enterprise adoption.
- Define and architect BI solutions, make sure they adhere to enterprise data standard and using data access/governance policies.
- Demonstrates opportunities by developing prototypes and/or contributing code, evaluating technologies, and mentoring project team members.
- Good understanding of big data trends and impact across the industry and how it can enable business transformation and create true value.
- Ensures the architecture for BI solutions using same data layer based on various BI solutions foot print.
- Collaborate with superiors and leads to develop and implement the strategic design, acquisition, management, and implementation of an enterprise-wide technology roadmap.
- Design and architect BI solutions to help data democratization and work closely with Data analytics, governance teams to implement solutions.
- As industry moves towards more real time analytics, design solution with working with different teams and articulate business data needs.
- Analyzes the technology industry and market trends to highlight potential impact on the business.
- Ability to define and hold the big picture while executing on a piece of it, and reduce technical debt while enhancing Data Transformation.
- Researches and evaluates new and/or alternative solutions and technologies to enhance operational effectiveness, reduce costs and/or system risks and increase speed to market.
- Works with leads to provides in-depth technical consultation to business partners and IT management to ensure development of efficient application systems utilizing established standards, procedures and methodologies.
- Guides the team that drives implementation of strategic and operational Data objectives with significant impact on the short-term and long-term success of the experience of interacting with CNA systems by agents, brokers and insureds.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of design and implementing of and/or co-leading Data transformation journey in current or past organization with expertise in data architecture and focus on Data & Analytics.
- Hands-on knowledge of many of the below technologies is required:
- Looker, SQL, ThoughtSpot, GCP and/or AWS, Data Modeling, Apache open source, Docker
- Knowledge of contemporary technology and business trends that allows architecture to solve problems in a creative and cost effective manner.
- Experience diagnosing, isolating, and resolving complex issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems
- Experience developing strategic initiatives which align with business goals and budget.
- Demonstrated leadership experience across data, change management, innovation and experience design.
- Design and orchestrate data ingestion into Data Warehouses on cloud (AWS/GCP).
- Experience working with data platform product is big a plus.
- Experience working with Apache open source project is a plus.
- Knowledge of design and implementation of enterprise workflow systems, distributed architecture, intranet/internet architecture, and communication architectures.
- Senior level knowledge of the system development life cycle, and system and application program development technological alternatives and architecture methodologies for multi-platform environments.
- Must be competent to work at the highest technical level of all phases of system architecture design using state of the art rules-based architecture, object oriented component analysis and development and proficiency in web-based systems architecture, service-based architecture and enterprise application architecture.
- Experience working in solutions over any major Cloud provider (AWS, Azure, GCP) is a plus
- Graph, Data classification and clustering algorithms in distributed environment is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience developing/following 3-5 year roadmaps outlining the evolution of the enterprise application portfolios from current to future state.
- Strong hands-on coding experience as full-stack engineer in their career, preferably in the context of large secure web applications with complex real-time integrations and diverse user bases.
Education & Experience
- Degree in Computer Science, or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Typically a minimum of 10 years of solid, diverse work experience in IT including experience with systems architecture methodologies.
- Some previous project leadership experience is desirable.
- Applicable certifications preferred.