Design Release Engineer (Converter)
This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Warren three times per week, at minimum.
As a Design Release Engineer in the Global Electrification Battery Systems (GEBS) group, you will be responsible for leading product converter development and integration activities. Responsibilities include utilizing engineering tools and processes to successfully develop components and systems for vehicle programs. Effectively achieve program milestones by thorough and rigorous program management. You will coach and lead suppliers to timely execution of program deliverables with perfection. Required to interface with Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers as well as vehicle customers in order to solve technical solutions per detailed requirements and best practices.
What You'll Do (Key Responsibilities)
- Lead the design and execution of future and legacy converters
- Ensure robust technical solutions are developed and released for each phase of the program
- Identify opportunities for improved specifications and best practices
- Implement the BOM and Reuse Strategy
- Execute root cause and problem resolution of vehicle or component development or validation issues
- Work with component validation engineer to develop and approve component validation plan and review validation results
- Set priority and urgency for Engineering Change Requests, Problem Resolution, and Development / Validation Plans
- Champion DFSS, complex trade-off and root cause assessments
- Work with Supplier Program Manager in execution and leadership of Converter Product Development Team (PDT)
- Meet program deliverables and imperatives
- Execute warranty reduction efforts on current product programs
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- High level of project management skills
- 2+ years of work with automotive power electronic modules or equivalent experience
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with domestic and international business partners
- Ability to create and edit 3D math of converters so one is able to perform packaging studies in vehicle
- Ability to work non-standard hours to collaborate with an overseas supplier
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- Specific knowledge of engineering mechanics, electronics, physics and manufacturing methods
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Bills of Design, Statement of Requirements, DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), and Design Reviews
- Working knowledge of GM Engineering Work Orders and Change Management processes
- Travel as required (domestic & international)
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- MS Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Familiarity with Appendix M--FEA, CFD, Tolerance Analysis, Mechanical Analysis Workbook, Mechanical Analysis Scorecard
- Familiarity with Appendix W---Basic "space claim" model developed and inserted as a parasolid file. Connectors, mounting points, coolant inlet/outlet and basic shape
- DFSS Certification
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being-at work and at home-so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.