Technical Writer at Themis Insight (Baltimore, MD)
Themis Insight solves difficult business, IT, and analytic problems by addressing the whole problem – not just the symptoms – using interdisciplinary approaches that are both practical and innovative. We provide fresh alternatives to ordinary, mainstream consulting firms through small, highly skilled, and hand-picked teams that can meet clients' needs in any industry. Our broad interdisciplinary understanding allows us to provide the right solution, even if it is from outside the industry or traditionally defined problem space. We bring Public and Private, Civilian and Military expertise to every case.
We are hiring a Technical Writer to work in Laurel, MD. Position location is subject to change based on central MD client's needs.
Required: TS/SCI with a polygraph
Responsible for the preparation, review, revision, and maintenance of technical documents including software and systems engineering, system operations, testing, and user documentation. Writes and edits technical documentation for all of the project’s hardware and software to include installation, configuration and how-to documentation. Creates code documentation for software; produces implementation guides and end-user guides for capabilities; provides field, data definition, and data flow documentation and formats technical publications from pamphlets, technical drawings, and consultations with technical personnel and other available resources.
The Level 3 Technical Writer (TW) shall possess the following capabilities:
- Assist in preparing and maintaining operations documentation, user guides and manuals and technical publications
- Understand basic concepts (to include basic grammar concepts), responsible for writing technical copy for various types of documents
- Gather technical information, prepares written text
- Maintain a current internal documentation library
- Use multiple word processing and presentation tools such as MS Word, PowerPoint, and Visio etc.
- Prepare and maintain operations documentation, user guides and manuals and technical Publications
- Work with developers to produce quality documentation and training materials
- Work on all phases of documentation
- Understand basic concepts and write technical copy for various types of documents for a program/project of similar complexity
- Prepare reports, responses, and briefings targeted to a wide range of audiences
- Coordinate layout and design of documents
- Research highly technical subject matter, organizes information from multiples sources, and express technical information in written form that is comprehensible to a wide audience of readers
- Under general direction, write technical copy for various types of documents for a program/project of similar complexity
- Apply concepts for technical writing based on engineering drawings, technical information from engineering documentation, consultations with engineers and subject matter experts, and other available sources
- Produce defense acquisition documentation, user manuals, training manuals, and other documentation utilized by the end-user community of DoD electronic equipment and systems
- Interpret engineering and maintenance drawings, operational procedures to understand and blend large quantities of computer related information
- Produce technical documentation for Cryptologic programs or projects developing analytic tradecraft methodologies
- Apply technical manual standard NSA DS-89 to work products
- Provide expert oversight of technical writing and editing to all phases of acquisition and technical documentation for the Program, Project, or Contract
- Work independently preparing and maintaining highly complex systems, programming and operations documentation, procedures and methods
- Act as project leader for projects with complex or voluminous documentation and may provide or coordinate special documentation services as required
- Review work products of others for compliance with technical manual NSA Data Standard (DS)-89
Eight (8) years experience as a TW in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity is required. Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline from an accredited college or university is required. A Master’s degree may be substituted for two (2) years of experience, reducing the requirement to six (6) years of experience. Four (4) years of additional TW experience may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
Themis Insight has all the PERKS!
You are our most valuable resource — your ambition, your knowledge, your creativity. We offer an industry-leading set of benefits to supplement your normal salary compensation. Themis Insight has you covered with flexible ways to balance work and home life, full health benefit premium coverage, and generous contributions toward your retirement.
- Competitive health, dental, and vision plans with 100% paid premiums.
- 401k: We contribute 6% even if you don't!
- Time Off: 11 standard holidays, and 20 days of PTO
- Career Development: Get career counseling and individualized career development plans, including education and training.
- Employee referral bonuses for successful hires
Themis Insight is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Themis Insight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.