Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about helping writers share their knowledge with our community.
The Technical Editing team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by editing and publishing approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of DevOps, open source, and modern application development topics. All members of the team are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching and helping developers learn new skills, and a passion for creating the most useful learning materials possible.
As a Technical Editor, you will act as a partner and coach to writers creating technical articles. These articles cover software development, managing Linux infrastructure and servers, and installing and configuring software. Working through our Write for DOnations program (do.co/w4do) and other initiatives, you will build relationships with external authors who want to get published on DigitalOcean and edit their work. The ideal candidate will have a background in education, instruction, or mentoring, have experience doing developmental editing work, and a desire to work in a hands-on technical environment.
If you feel that you have the background and knowledge for this Technical Editor position, we’d love to talk to you and see where there’s a fit!What You'll Be Doing:
- Publish tutorials about real world projects in the areas of software development, system administration, and DevOps from authors all over the world.
- Deliver editorial notes to help authors improve the technical details, explanations, and quality of writing in each tutorial to ensure the best outcomes for our learners.
- Test the tutorials you publish to ensure they work for our learners.
- Build and maintain relationships with authors to encourage repeat contributions.
- Assisting with maintenance of the current DigitalOcean library: updating older articles, adding additional information to current articles, and occasionally producing new content as necessary.
- Evaluate writing samples and proposed tutorial topics for interest to the open-source community, value in teaching readers how to code at different levels of technical difficulty, and practical utility.
- Learn about system administration, DevOps concepts, and software development. An interest in technical growth is a must!
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Formal or informal experience with teaching or mentoring. You’ll be giving feedback to authors and developing their skills, and you’ll be serving our learning community through the articles you publish.
- Previous developmental editing experience, preferably on software development or system administration/devops topic areas. You’re comfortable helping new and experienced writers plan and produce a piece of content.
- Comfort with building and maintaining author relationships.
- Demonstrated experience in researching and learning new technology and concepts quickly.
- Strong interest in learning about server web application setup, deployment, overall Linux server administration, software development, and the developer community.
- Some Linux command line experience is a plus, as is familiarity with DigitalOcean’s existing tutorial library.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This is a remote position
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!