Senior UX Content Strategist at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures. We've been named a 2021 Top Workplace by the Chicago Tribune and listed on Built In’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago. We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
As our first Sr. UX Content Strategist, you’ll play a critical role in communications for M1’s core audience, the Savvy Investor. Your content strategy skills will help drive M1’s mission to empower people to take control of their finances and improve their financial well-being.
Joining the M1 team is a great opportunity if you thrive in a fast-paced environment and want the responsibility and accountability for leading the content strategy of our product, crafting amazing ideas and driving flawless execution. And if you have a passion for fintech, you need to apply.
M1 is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels of the company.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
What You'll Do
- Create, test, maintain and evolve functional microcopy that impacts business goals, and gets our clients closer to their desired outcomes. You’ll be the point person on copy quality and content strategy for our entire consumer product.
- Maintain the voice and tone of the M1 brand throughout all product touchpoints.
- Partner closely with product design, product management, user research, marketing and operations to understand requirements, identify users’ content needs, and align on business goals.
- Make sound design decisions with qualitative and quantitative data as well as have the know-how to acquire that data.
- Establish a structure for copy contributors as part of our product content governance process.
- Collaborate with your design peers to ensure a consistent end-to-end product experience, and improve our design team processes.
- 7+ years experience producing and managing exceptional content with a portfolio that showcases your ability to excel at both functional UX microcopy as well as longer form copy and content strategy.
- An obsession for deeply understanding user needs, and the ability to translate those needs, as well as complex concepts, into transformative copy and content strategy that is clear, concise, and human.
- A track record of collaborating with Product Design, Product Management, and Engineering to ship multiple products that have made a measurable impact.
- A passion for elegant, practical, on-brand copy and content and continual experimentation, iteration and optimization.
- You believe that empathetic user-centered design has the power to transform our business and improve people’s lives.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to varying stakeholders and audiences.
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing and personal finance.
Let's see what you've got
Along with your resume, please submit a portfolio (or link to your online portfolio). Show us you can write with personality while achieving business goals.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym