Content Writer at Square (Remote)
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Content & Web team is an organic growth engine and a center of excellence for digital experiences and content strategy at Square. You will create and drive editorial strategy for the customer experience beat at Square. As a subject matter expert in topics such as consumer habits and spending, retention and loyalty, personalization, engagement, the evolution of the retail and restaurant experience, and other business growth strategies and trends, you will oversee content strategy — from pitching, production, distribution, and measurement — across Square's owned channels for the customer experience beat.
This will include the hands-on production of blog articles, seller stories, white papers, e-books and infographics. in addition to media content such as audio, interactive digital and video with the aim to maximize the value of customer experience content and storytelling throughout Square's strategic content marketing campaigns, and to inspire creativity in how the Editorial team brings these topics to life for our audiences. You will develop a customer experience content strategy to inform the editorial calendar, ladder into a broader editorial plan and work with team leads and other editors/strategists/specialists on full-funnel content marketing campaigns that support business, product, and audience goals.
This is a creative role that will collaborate with the Communications, Digital, SEO, Product Marketing, Creative, Brand, Experiential, and Sales teams in addition to Square partners, vendors, creative and media agencies to create high-quality, engaging content that moves important business metrics at all stages of the seller journey. You will report to the Managing Editor of Square's branded content hub (Town Square).
***please submit writing samples, website, or portfolio to be considered***
- Develop editorial strategies supporting Square's Restaurant and Retail POS products, Loyalty and Gift Card products, and other latest product solutions and business vertical opportunities rooted in improvement and refinement of the customer experience
- Manage editorial production for the Town Square content hub and other owned, partner, and syndication channels for the customer experience beat, including working with a content marketing agency to coordinate daily editorial operations (pitching, assigning, writing and editing)
- Produce original content such as blog articles, seller stories, white papers, e-books, and other editorial formats such as Q&As, listicles, how-tos, long-form features, quizzes that support customer experience editorial strategy goals
- Research customer experience, insights, and news, collaborating with internal/external experts, industry influencers, content partners, 3rd party researchers, and other sources to craft relevant perspectives and insights to fuel a regular pace of informed and data-driven content
- Consult and inform strategies for content distribution in partnership with Square's owned channel strategists/specialists and stakeholders, including public web (squareup.com), social media, YouTube, email and print
- Work with the SEO team to drive organic search traffic and authority on the Town Square content hub for customer experience topics, related product solutions, and keywords, using keyword research for content optimization and topic/headline ideation
- Create content performance reports and insights, using Google Analytics and internal tools to track trends and results, and to inform ongoing content strategy
- 3+ years of experience and a BA/BS in a related field such as journalism, marketing, or communications
- Experience as a journalist or as a content marketer
- Top-notch, demonstrated writing and editing skills across a variety of content types and formats
- Experience with content and editorial production (creating briefs, managing editorial calendar/deadlines, handling feedback, project management)
- An understanding of content distribution/marketing channel best practices (social media, email, paid ads, SEO)
- Experience writing for a web/digital industry publications, or for business solutions clients
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.