Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover is looking for a Senior Technical Product Owner –to help drive the execution of the application development management tool, Jira needed to support operationally stable, world class platform for the enabling application development across the enterprise within Discover.
Anchored by our Discover Values, we are focused on open collaboration, teamwork, and innovation are highly valued. We align our work through agile practices and tenets, and leverage diverse backgrounds across our team members to create the best possible products for the company. Ensures an outcome for a product is delivered that meets the requests from stakeholders and customers. This requires a fundamental understanding of the business and its constraints (financial, marketing, compliance, legal, service, the customer environment, the technical capabilities, the user experience, etc.) in order to provide a solution that satisfies all stakeholders and customers
This product owner will lead the execution and delivery of capabilities across Jira application platform. In this role, you will work directly with consumers of the platform to understand the current pain points, gaps and work with product owners and consumers to establish product roadmap and drive execution.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with consumers of the platform, Engineers and Sr Leadership in leading the execution of Discover’s application development work management capabilities, processes, and priorities
- Drive the vision, roadmap, strategy and execution for all the suite of products that supports the platform.
- Be accountable for overall operational aspects, platform stability and availability.
- Drive the execution and delivery aspects of the platform by collaborating with the scrum master and the teams.
A successful candidate in this role will have strong experience with product ownership in a highly technical environment. This position also needs strong influencing skills and be a great active listener.
Other things you’ll need to be successful:
- Empathy for our customer’s journey and needs
- Demonstrated record of success launching successful features (preferably at enterprise level).
- Sufficient technical knowledge to understand what is possible to inform key product design decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to create
- Ability to break features down to executable stories for team execution
- Understand and drive value of Infrastructure as Code and automation principles through the team
- Ability to lead without authority.
- Comfortable with dynamic, fast paced environment with shifting priorities and ownership.
- Experience creating and delivering services in a continuous integration and deployment environment
- Experience in working with dev ops or self-service engineering teams to deploy code in production
- Clear & concise written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, self-starter, passionate and collaborative.
- Interacts and collaborates with stakeholders on key product considerations and aligns with product vision, features and roadmap. Leverages customer insights, feedback, financials, compliance and risk data to define product features and roadmap in partnership with other SMEs.
- Establish Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Objects and Key Results (OKRs) for the product team and ensure alignment with senior leadership (e.g., SPO, Dir, etc.). Creates and/or maintains key product documentation (e.g., customer journey map, technical specs, process mapping, etc.). Identifies and defines key non-functional requirements (e.g., security, availability, performance, etc.) to achieve necessary product metrics. Owns definition of Minimum Viable Product (MVP) and features/user stories for delivery product roadmap; in-line with the Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) of the greater product vision outlined by SPO and/or Business Director is the final decision maker for product scope
- Builds product backlog, prioritize its items to achieve Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and continuously keep it up to date. Holds meetings with the product team to continuously update product backlog. Ensures product features and processes align with applicable Discover compliance and risk management standards. Ensures product adheres to the highest quality standards, including releasing security patches not linked to customers.
- Defines functional and non-functional product requirements; ensure completeness; integral and consistent; source of requirements for product team. Creates and validate user story acceptance criteria. Defines and ensures appropriate testing frameworks for product features (e.g., market testing, functional performance, etc.) Works with Data stewards in their respective LOBs to ensure required Data quality controls are identified and implemented. Inspect and evaluate product progress through each iteration.
- Partners with business technology to create technical features that are required to continuously optimize system components and underline infrastructure maintenance.
- Builds a culture of accountability and ownership by empowering the product team to make decisions as close to the work as possible. Manage dependencies with other team's functions while identifying, building, and managing strategic partnership across different product teams.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related filed
- 4+ years of experience in Product Owner, Product Manager, Technology Product or Team Leadership or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 6+ years of experience as product owner, business analyst, customer service and relationships, IT, or related field
- Prior experience in successfully implementing Jira in large organizations that leverage Agile and SaFe approaches
- establishing technical roadmaps, strategy and vision for technical products and platforms.
- Experience in leading delivery on broad enterprise initiatives, demonstrating knowledge of how to get things done in a large organization
- Excellent communication skills across wide range of business and technology audiences
- Ability to creatively overcome impediments and coach the team on continuous improvements.
- 6+ years of working with Jira preferred
- Experience with Kubernetes/Openshift is a plus.
- Basic understanding and experience of key technologies to be leveraged by the team including Java applications, CI/CD technologies, Ansible, terraform
- Understanding of observability and how to achieve reliability in a service.
- Act as a strong consumer advocate and promote strong partnership between Application Development and Platform teams to improve the adoption of the platform within the enterprise.
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.