Staff Consultant - Vibration at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Staff Consultant - Vibration
You will be responsible for leading a team and performing vibration, pyro, shock, modal, and acoustic testing for state-of-the-art aerospace products.
The candidate will be responsible for providing leadership, managing day to day activities, staffing, training, audits, budget, processes, capital projects, interfacing with customers, performing tests, and ensuring customer requirements are met. Strong customer interface and leadership skills are required.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead a team of 7 – 10 Technicians and Engineers.
- Lead day to day activities including, staffing, scheduling, budget, test execution, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, and equipment validation.
- Develop training plans, improve processes, incorporate lessons learned, and revise human error management plans.
- Work with a team of Test Engineers, Design Engineers, Structural Engineers, Hardware Quality Engineers, Inspectors, and Technicians.
- Engage programs and participate in test planning and readiness reviews.
- Participate in anomaly resolution, root cause analysis and corrective action.
- Develop test engineering documentation (e.g. plans, procedures and reports) and present test results to internal and external customers.
- Create a long-term vision, drive process improvement initiatives and capital programs to build and maintain a world class test facility.
- Develop and manage department metrics.
- Will be required to obtain company certifications.
- Maintain and update required records and reports.
- Proactively work with internal customers to understand test requirements.
- Ensure the testability of hardware designs and procedures.
- Follow standard procedures, applies knowledge and skills to current, routine tasks.
- Promote development of a strong team by participation in key aspects of the project and mentoring more junior team members.
- Review and accurately interpret schematics, drawings, specifications and procedures for completeness and compliance to test requirements.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- Experience with Structural Analysis, Structural Dynamic / Vibration Testing.
- Knowledge in the use and limitations of dynamic shakers systems, control systems, data acquisition systems, force transducers and instrumentation.
- Strong working knowledge on software examples includes MS Office, IDEAS, Matlab and vibration system control software.
- Experience in working with people at all levels.
- Proven leadership and program execution skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Capable of leading and / or directs group discussions.
- Experience in anomaly resolution, troubleshooting, and documentation.
- Capable of resolving technical problems or discrepancies with the team, customers, and subcontractors, in a timely manner.
- Ability to manage department cost, budget and schedule constraints.
- Recognized as an expert in their field.
- Ability to work cross organizationally with process shareholders.
- Power amplifier and shaker maintenance experience highly desired.
- Knowledge of metrology and utilization of calibrated equipment.
- Experience working with program critical hardware.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $144,000 - $182,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.