Senior Director of Government & Community Relations at AIR Communities
You used to know us as "Aimco Apartment Homes" but now we're called "AIR Communities!" Though the company has changed, our approach to property management has not. We will continue to do whatever it takes to make our residents feel at home We are passionate about providing quality apartments homes, in a respectful environment, across twenty key markets in the USA. We are a publicly traded Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT), who has, for more than 25 years, built its business around a relentless focus on our customer and our award-winning culture.Job Description
The Senior Director of Government and Community Relations is responsible for working with Federal, State and local governments and elected officials on public policy issues, zoning and for redevelopment projects and building strong relationships and the company's reputation in key markets throughout the United States. Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President and Chief Corporate Responsibility Officer, this position provides an important role in building Federal, state and local relationships, and government advocacy.
- Directs the organization's policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs.
- Leads analysis of proposed legislative actions and determines the potential impact on the company. Monitors legislative and regulatory activities and develops company positions.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with federal, state and local elected officials.
- Develops strategies and works proactively with elected officials to advance the company’s interests, advocating on the company's behalf with state and local governments.
- Develops and maintains numerous relationships with national trade associations, local apartment associations and state and local advocacy groups.
- Participates on industry task forces on relevant issues.
- Advises implements and participates in various coalitions; acts as a liaison to various groups and projects.
- Works across all company business units to develop Environmental, Social and Governance initiatives.
- Tackles and resolves problems related to government agencies and company communities.
- Trains, mentors and provides guidance to the new team members when needed
- Builds relationships and partnerships with local civic and non-profit organizations, community and neighborhood groups to position the company as a strategic partner and outstanding corporate citizen.
- Works with elected officials to implement AIR Gives philanthropic activities throughout the U.S.
- Works collaboratively with company operations, communications and marketing teams.
- Strategically manages political and nonprofit contributions.
- Travel 15% - 25% of the time is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Government, Political Science, Law, Communications, Business or other related field
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience working with an elected official, government agency, legislative groups or in other public policy role. Lobbying and advocacy experience.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills. B.A. in public policy, government or related field a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, diplomacy and problem-solving
- Team Player. Goal and results oriented
AIR offers attractive total compensation packages designed to recognize and reward performance at the individual, team and company levels. We start with a competitive base salary and add bonus opportunities and benefit choices topped off with:
- Expected pay range of $145,000 - $160,000, base salary, plus a lucrative bonus structure aligned to achievement of company’s transaction goals. You will be provided a pay rate that is in line with your skills and experience as they relate to the requirements of the job.
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance options available. HSA with company sponsored contributions, FSA (traditional and dependent care FSA).
- Short and long-term disability paid by the company.
- 401(K) and Employee Stock Purchase Plans.
- Paid Vacation, 9 Paid Holidays, Wellness Bonus Days, and Paid Sick Time.
- Tuition Assistance Program.
- Commuter Benefits and Pet-Insurance.
- Up to 100% Reimbursement on Professional Certification/Licensing for Job Related Curriculums.
- Discounted Rent at AIR communities (certain exclusions apply, and an application is required).
- Paid parental leave of up to 16 weeks, following the birth or adoption of a child.
- Consumer discounts from various products and services including travel planning, wireless phones, health and fitness, home appliances, and more.
- 10 hours of paid time annually to give-back to your community.
- Opportunities for professional development and career growth including realistic job previews, in person and virtual leadership training, and performance improvement courses.
AIR values diversity and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. AIR prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.