Senior Communications Manager & PR Lead at Course Hero (Peninsula or Remote)
Course Hero is scaling, and we are looking for a seasoned Senior Communications Manager & PR Lead to join our uber-talented Brand & Communications team! The successful candidate will be a curious, detail-oriented writer with a keen ability to develop powerful, engaging stories and a passion for media relations and brand building.
You will join Course Hero at a time when there is unprecedented interest regarding the impact of technological advancements on higher education and digital pedagogy. This makes it more important than ever to ensure we are effectively communicating the company’s mission and vision to our target audiences and driving communication strategies that are aligned with our business objectives. This is a dynamic role that will keep you on your toes! It requires you to work with partners from the brand, marketing, product, and executive teams, whether you are making newsworthy pitches, talking to members of the media, supporting corporate announcements, or managing our brand’s reputation.
While we are a high-growth tech company, we are also mission-driven and strive to create a workplace that enables our team members to thrive inside and outside of work. If you are looking for a new challenge and are excited about what you’ve read so far, we hope to hear from you!
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Develop and drive newsworthy stories to create a consistent cadence of reputation-building media coverage
- Keenly follow industry trends, business, tech and education news, to ensure timely and relevant information informs proactive media outreach
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with key journalists to position Course Hero as a relevant and reliable source for commentary and thought leadership
- Research and create all media relations materials including briefing documents, press releases, media alerts, pitches, communications plans, award submissions, speaking proposals and media lists
- Pursue and respond to reporter queries in a timely, thoughtful and thorough manner
- Organize and manage media briefings and training, as well as media interviews and speaking engagements
- Actively monitor, track and manage company and industry news coverage and collaborate with social media team to manage social media reputation
- Manage and enhance external comms department processes and procedures
- Manage and collaborate with PR agencies and consultants on communications priorities and pitch plans
- Build out a thought leadership program and speaking bureau and develop byline content, keynote talks, scripts and award submissions
- Collaborate with HR, events, social and marketing teams on special projects, events and partnerships
Are you our Senior Communications Manager & PR Lead?
- A relevant blend of education and experience with demonstrated and repeated success leading and growing comprehensive consumer-facing and corporate communications strategies, PR campaigns, and programs
- Inspiring communications leader who has a successful track record of consistently securing meaningful media coverage and has established relationships with reporters across business, tech and mainstream media
- Exceptionally strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills, with the ability to present ideas and information clearly and a sharp intellect for communicating with diverse audiences
- Someone who is extremely detail-oriented and thorough, and who can prioritize urgent and important initiatives appropriately and effectively
- A proven ability to analyze and measure communications performance, synthesizing coverage and conversations to inform and make recommendations to executives and partners
- A self-starter with a team player attitude and an ability to embrace change and adapt strategies on the fly
- Strong bias towards action - can proactively problem solve and remove roadblocks, and has exceptional organizational and project management skills, particularly in ambiguous and high-stakes situations
- Known to be an excellent cross-functional partner who can synthesize needs, gain alignment, and drive work forward in a highly collaborative environment
- A critical thinker with a deep passion for experimentation and creativity and curiosity for education and technology
- Subscribes to an “always learning” mentality for themselves and others - gives and receives feedback respectfully, fails forward, and seeks out opportunities for ongoing development
- A combination of in-house and agency experience
- Previous experience leading and developing robust research studies and/or large-scale PR projects or campaigns
- Can provide creative direction and supervise the production of comms-specific content and creative
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, and RSUs
- Medical coverage, including full dental and vision
- Life and disability benefits
- 401(k) program (US) / retirement savings plan (Canada) with company match
- One month paid sabbatical after 5 years at the company
- Education reimbursement
- Professional development workshops & industry conferences
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Social responsibility program (volunteer time off and donation matching)
- Annual wellness stipend
- Monthly tech stipend
- Annual family planning stipend
- Monthly snack boxes delivered to your door
- Cell phone allowance
For positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Other locations: IL, MA, NJ.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria. We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
We are a virtual-first company and have employees dispersed throughout the United States and Canada. We have a market-based pay structure that varies by location. The base pay for this position is dependent on multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed below. You may also be eligible to participate in our bonus program and may be offered an equity award, benefits, and other types of compensation.
In accordance with California law, the base salary for this role if filled within California is $140,000- $190,000
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Course Hero:
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Join us on our mission!