GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Payroll Specialist is a deadline driven, integral role in our Accounting department that is critical to all aspects of the payroll processing functions both domestic and international, at GumGum. The Payroll Specialist is responsible for a critical business process that impacts all team members. The Payroll Specialist supports the entire payroll process and is therefore instrumental in planning and documenting processes and ensuring deadlines are met for every payroll cycle.
This role has the opportunity to contribute to the implementation of a new 401k plan and the modernization of our tools and systems to provide better employee experiences globally. In addition, they will act as a strategic partner in bringing international subsidiaries to a more unified payroll system and provide support in future M&A and payroll integration activities.
- Systems and Processes
- Responsible for the processing of accurate and timely semimonthly and monthly payrolls for multi-state domestic & international entities
- Process manual checks including final checks and off cycle payrolls as needed
- Process and balance payrolls, ensuring all compliance reports are prepared and fully reconciled, garnishments, 401K administration, and generating standard and ad hoc reports.
- Developing or improving the controls of our payroll process and documentation
- Identifying opportunities for systems or process improvements
- Working with Accounting on monthly payroll and auditing of payrolls
- Assist with auditing processes (annual, state, etc.)
- Provide internal and external communication to communicate clear deadlines to both vendors and internal teams
- Client Service and Stakeholder Engagement
- Maintain standing relationship and partner closely with People Operations team to ensure pay structure for all team members are accurate
- Ability to work cross functionally with internal GumGum teams to ensure timely payroll processing
- Serve as the main point of contact and support for any employee-related payroll & 401K questions and inquiries, responding to internal clients in a timely manner
- Maintain a customer-first mindset, relentlessly seeking solutions for our clients (both internal and external)
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll tax regulations
- The Payroll Specialist will also handle additional payroll related activities that may be needed for quarterly and end of year reporting
- Other duties, projects and ad hoc requests as assigned
- BA degree preferred but not required; relevant certifications may be substituted
- Minimum of 4+ years of previous payroll experience in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience with ADP Workforce Now or other HRIS Platforms
- Experience with International payroll (EMEA experience a plus)
- Knowledge of Federal and Multi-State laws required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel required
- Ability to juggle multiple high priorities in a fast-paced environment and have a willingness to learn
- Process driven – can document and follow strict processes to manage accuracy and timeliness
- Can plan and anticipate issues and delays before critical deadlines are due
- Ability to work autonomously in a virtual environment
- Internal customer focused
Benefits & Perks
- Medical Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Vision Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Dental Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employer-Matched 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Stock Incentive Program (role dependent)
- Paid Parental Leave - Birth parents can receive up to 16-18 weeks for birth recovery and baby bonding. Non-birth parents can receive up to 10 weeks for baby bonding
- Transitional Return-to-Work Schedule
- Modern Family Support: Cleo App
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal and Identity Theft Protection
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- WFH Stipend
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Flexible Time Off
- Veterinary Discounts
- WeWork Monthly Pass
- Pet friendly organization - We love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
- Anniversary recognition and awards
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Optional return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum expands globally! Our company recently acquired JustPremium, a European-based company that utilizes creatives as a means to develop digital environments. JustPremium’s rich media is one of the largest in the world, and brings forward higher performing ads that adds value to GumGum’s already thriving contextual intelligence. With this acquisition, we now have 375 + employees globally, as well as new market expansion including Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, and Mexico. Together we will become the most powerful global solution for a cookieless future through contextual technology and high-impact creatives.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum