Senior Software Engineer, Operating Model (Remote) at Inspire
Inspire is a clean energy technology company on a mission to transform the way consumers access clean energy and to accelerate the world’s transition to a net-zero carbon future.
We provide our customers with access to renewable energy from wind, solar, and hydro powered sources without service interruptions or costly installations at a flat, predictable monthly rate. For every year that a customer spends with Inspire Clean Energy, they have a greater impact on climate change than 10 years of strict recycling.
Our rapidly growing team of mission-driven, climate enthusiasts is passionate, innovative and committed to a better future for the planet.
Inspire’s Operating Model is the heart and the brain of our clean energy platform -- tracking and forecasting costs and revenues as the source of truth for key stakeholders across the business to make decisions about growth, optimization and strategy.
As a Senior Software Engineer on our Operating Model Team, your work will help drive down costs, manage risk, accelerate growth and improve our member experience -- broadening access to clean energy as we grow to new markets, and enabling new products that accelerate a net zero carbon future. In this role, you will work closely with machine learning and data engineers to build scalable and extensible APIs to integrate our ML models into the services used throughout our business.
You will contribute to our pricing and offers service, which combines machine learning forecasts with a pricing experimentation platform to show customers the right plan at the right price to best meet their needs. By ensuring forecast accuracy and precision at the point of sale, we are able to effectively hedge risk and minimize costs, enabling innovative and consumer-friendly products including flat-price subscription billing. By actively experimenting with plan types, we continuously improve customer satisfaction and lifetime value, maximizing our collective impact on our mission to accelerate a net zero carbon future.
THE SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, OPERATING MODEL HAS 4 MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and build REST APIs in ruby and/or python to support core business functionality such as pricing, offers, and load forecasts.
- Configure and maintain cloud infrastructure on AWS and Heroku
- Configure and manage applications on kubernetes
- Build and maintain CI/CD pipelines for applications using AWS and Github
- Team-oriented development: building modular & re-usable tools, writing maintainable code, owning technical and business documentation
- Working with our ML team to provide robust interfaces for our ML Models
- Communication with technical and non-technical audiences, and ability to translate between the domains of business problems and implementations
SOME YEAR 1 DELIVERABLES
- Extend current offer service APIs to support new features
- Build new APIs to allow internal services to leverage our LTV and Load Forecasting APIs
- Identify bottlenecks and improve scalability to support our growing customer base
- Improve and maintain CI/CD pipelines for various services within the Operating Model infrastructure
- Cultivated familiarity with Inspire’s frameworks & operating model
- Delivery of high-quality pull requests, evidencing strong code standards & testing practices
- High quality documentation for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Comfort with self-directed project management: requiring minimal oversight to assess a problem, formulate a solution, deliver code, and document changes.
- Positive interactions with department stakeholders: guidance and input that creates business value for non-technical personnel; feedback on priorities, status, and estimates that create transparency and build trust.
- Analytical: Able to develop a keen understanding of the problem before deciding on a solution
- Curious: Desire to understand the underpinnings of complex business processes in order to design the correct technical solution
- Determined: Able to focus on the problem at hand and deliver a complete solution quickly.
- Open minded: Incorporates new information quickly in a fast changing environment; willing to take input from others.
- Growth Mindset: Looking for challenges and opportunities to develop new skills and acquire knowledge.
- Must Have
- 3+ years experience working with Ruby and/or Python for a backend application in a production environment
- 3+ years experience with the software development life cycle (git, Pull Requests, Code Reviews, Testing, etc)
- Proficiency working with the command line
- Proficiency with SQL
- Nice to Have
- Experience with key technologies: rails, flask, redis, kubernetes, streaming (kafka, kinesis, etc.), swagger
- Experience with ORMs ActiveRecord, SQLAlchemy, etc
- Experience with IaC tools Cloud Formation, Terraform, etc
- Experience working in the energy industry
- Experience working with financial data and complex financial models
- Experience with technical communication to audiences of diverse backgrounds