Senior Ground Mission Data Processing Engineer (Greater Denver Area)
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people who promote a sense of belonging and equality with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. What's more, our company balances listening to experiences, providing feedback, and partnership at all levels to create a more inclusive environment. Our team members are able to fully invest in the work that they do, bringing dynamic thinking and energy to Ball Aerospace.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior Ground Mission Data Processing Engineer
The Engineering Capabilities Unit at Ball Aerospace is looking to expand our team with a talented and energetic software engineer to work on satellite ground system software delivering new capability to the industry. This position consists of working on a tightly integrated team in a fast-paced Agile environment to deliver continuous innovation to our customers.
What You'll Do:
- Design and develop mission data processing and analysis software including archiving, buffering, calibrating, delivering, and packaging mission products.
- Perform full software life cycle functions including software requirements, architecture, design, code, test, integration, documentation, and support.
- Perform software lifecycle functions utilizing agile product development approaches; scrum, continuous integration, and continuous deploy.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external customers to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Mentor junior engineers and lead developer teams, including decomposing and assigning tasks, reviewing work products, and tracking and reporting status.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor's or Master's, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience with satellite ground system development with a focus on distributed mission data processing.
- Experience with industry-standard ground systems such as COSMOS, ECLIPSE, OS/COMET, or OASIS.
- Experience delivering high-reliability software in an agile, team-based environment with a strong CI/CD workflow.
- Cloud development using AWS, Lambda, Docker, and Kubernetes preferred.
- Web and REST service development using Spring, Jersey, Flask, CherryPy, or Ruby on Rails preferred.
- Back-end development using SQL and NoSQL databases, and JPA/ORM preferred.
- Middleware software development in languages such as Java, C++, or Python preferred.
- Proven leadership experience at the technical, team, or organizational levels.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Flexible On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site for three or more days per work week. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.