Senior Embedded Systems Engineer - Access Control at Verkada Inc (Peninsula)
| Peninsula | Hybrid
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:44 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, August 23, 2022
By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Who We Are
At Verkada, we’re rethinking what it means to be physically safe. Designed with simplicity in mind, we currently offer five product lines (video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms and visitor management), which provide seamless visibility through an integrated secure cloud-based software platform. Over 12,000+ organizations worldwide trust Verkada as their physical security layer for easier management, frictionless scalability and cutting-edge innovation. But this is just the beginning. We envision a world in which security systems feel as seamless and modern as the organizations they protect and our enterprise solution becomes a model for not just business security, but public security as well.
We are a small, dynamic team focused on building cloud-managed access control systems. Access Control is our second major product line. Our Access Control is a cloud based solution meaning users can manage their doors, schedules, and user credentials from virtually anywhere.
We consider our team a startup within a startup, with a fair amount of ownership and autonomy. You’ll be working alongside a dynamic team of firmware, backend, and frontend engineers to develop this product line.
We are #10 on the LinkedIn Top Startups 2020 list and #4 on the Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers 2020. In January 2020, the company raised $80 million Series C at a $1.6 billion post-money valuation and is backed by top-tier investors like Sequoia Capital, First Round, Meritech and Siemens (Next47).
- Be responsible for building the software and firmware that goes onto the devices we ship to our customers: Verkada Access Control units, Verkada Card / BLE readers, and future devices we will soon be launching.
- Own the full engineering cycle end to end, including scoping, architecture and low level design, solutions trade-off, development with test driven and data driven methods.
- Proven track record of methodical problem solving skills, debugging skills and overall excellent logical thinking skills. Strong motivation to build quality products that are reliable, performant and sustainable.
- Growth mindset and willingness to learn new technologies that are critical to product development.
- Work with product management and cross functional teams to build and ship features that delight users and customers.
- Contribute to other parts of the stack (e.g. our backend services), if that interests you.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or closely related degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 2+ years of work experience in a software or firmware engineering role, or 1+ year with advanced degree, but we are hiring at all levels
- Proficient in C or C++.
- Prior work experience in owning SW features or projects end to end with production launch is a major plus
Nice to have
- Prior work experience in SW development on HW products, for example, working knowledge of common low-level interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART, working knowledge of FreeRTOS and Embedded Linux
- Experience with networking and wireless communication protocols.
- Experience programming in Go and Python.
- Experience reading schematics (basic EE skills).
Perks & Benefits
- Generous company paid medical, dental & vision insurance coverage
- Unlimited paid time off & 11 companywide paid holidays
- Wellness allowance
- Commuter benefits
- Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
- Generous paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada and Parents at Verkada.
Read Full Job Description