Project Engineer II - Mechanical at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Project Engineer II – Mechanical
What You’ll Do:
- Lead hardware development teams to meet cost, schedule, and technical requirements.
- Technical responsibilities include requirement allocation, interface definition, performance analysis, and risk mitigation from concept through detail design of:
- Spacecraft structure
- Precision electro-mechanics
- Ground support equipment
- Special Test Equipment
- Generate cost estimates, establish metrics and track performance (earned value).
- Develop detailed development/build schedules and manage team activities to meet hardware delivery milestones.
- Proactively interact across the organization and Programs to prevent surprises and identify/mitigate risks.
- Technical management of subcontracts.
- Post design sustaining engineering.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A degree in Mechanical, Aerospace or equivalent Engineering is preferred.
- 12 or more years of design, production and project management experience preferred.
- Experience successfully identifying and deploying process/product improvements.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Experience using CAD software.
- Experience using Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing.
- Demonstrated creativity in mechanical engineering design.
- Demonstrated design analysis capability.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute engineering risk reduction testing as well as qualification testing.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience of mechanical engineering design activities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop cost estimates, schedules and develop/report earned value.
- Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal activities for NASA and/or DOD programs.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $135,000 - $170,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.