Engineering Manager: Internal Kubernetes Platform at DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean is welcoming a new technical engineering manager to support our engineers, grow our culture, and lead the team developing our internal application platform built on Kubernetes. This platform is responsible for more than 90% of applications powering our products at DigitalOcean. This person will be responsible for guiding the development of a mixed-skill engineering team, facilitating communications, providing clarity of vision and priority, and empowering the team to create creative solutions for our DigitalOcean engineering teams. Furthermore, this person will also lead and help to shape the internal engineering ecosystem while collaborating with various stakeholders across different teams and the leadership teams.
The platform team focuses on supporting the operations and development of the platform which ranges from building automation tools to implementing an abstraction layer or resources for Kubernetes.
We are excited to meet candidates who share our passions for technology solutions, healthy services, and being loving service providers, team members, and leaders.What You’ll Be Working On:
- Managing an engineering team developing and operating a Kubernetes-based deployment platform for internal applications.
- Growing and leading a highly-collaborative remote engineering team.
- Ensuring high reliability of a platform supporting critical production services.
- Collaborating with engineering teams to gather requirements for the platform and shaping the roadmap of the internal platform for DO engineers.
- Review and give input on architectural system designs.
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams to define yearly and quarterly roadmaps.
- Escalation path for on-call rotations.
- Developing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and utilize these KPIs to measure and report on the success of the team.
- Providing career coaching including performance assessment, career development, and continual feedback.
- Facilitating transparent and constructive communication.
- Regularly give feedback to team members on wins, and areas to improve.
- Lead a team where individuals enjoy coming to work, know what needs to be done, and have the resources to get their job done.
- Efficiently manage the team to deliver value for users and the business.
- Identify issues impeding software development (across all phases of a service lifecycle from conception to maintenance) and collaborate with the team to resolve and improve.
- A commitment to reliability, monitoring and observability.
- Experience building software used by 1000s of users, and operating Kubernetes in a production environment.
- Interest and love for building internal platforms and tooling that boost productivity of engineers.
- A passion for leading, coaching, and mentoring software engineers.
- Enthusiasm for hiring and growing engineering teams.
- Systems thinking.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!