Engineer I - Optical at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer I – Optical
In this exciting career starting opportunity, you will have a great deal of responsibility and opportunity. Over time you will gain experience over the full life cycle of a project. You will also be expected to develop leadership skills as your experience builds.
What You’ll Do:
- Work in a team environment with other optical engineers to design and engineer state of the art space based optical sensors.
- Work with teams of engineers doing optical system development, integration, and alignment.
- Work hands-on with optical hardware as well as performing analytical work and technology development.
- Work in a cross disciplinary environment with engineers and technicians from other engineering fields.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- MS degree or PhD in Optical Engineering or a related technical field preferred.
- Knowledge of optical design and engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with optical alignment techniques.
- Experience doing optical analysis. Some experience in optical design preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Proficiency with MS Office tools.
- Experience with Matlab and Optical Design/Analysis tools.
- A demonstrated capability to adequately perform the essential functions and responsibilities of the position and exhibit the skills and competencies of the grade level.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Position requires working at all Ball Aerospace’s Colorado campuses (Boulder, Broomfield and Westminster) for extended periods of time.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $84,000 - $104,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.