Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Information Technology org at Rivian is seeking a Staff Data Platform Engineer to join the Data Engineering team, reporting to the Senior Data Engineering Manager, IT Services.
We are looking for data engineers with strong software engineering backgrounds, a "platform engineering mindset" and deep passion for data. You will be a part of Rivian Enterprise Data Platform team whose goal is to enable timely, effective and safe sharing of data to multiple engineering, operations and business teams at Rivian for building world class data products.
- Build scalable real-time as well as batch data ingestion and data processing pipelines. Choose the appropriate purpose-built technology based on the data patterns and use-case needs
- Build generic ingestion frameworks as well as individual pipelines using Kafka, Kinesis, serverless lambdas with API Gateway, HTTP 2, GRPC streams, Change Data Capture tools etc.
- Build modular set of data services for data transformation and business logic processing using container microservices, Apache Spark on AWS EMR, ETL technologies like AWS Glue, dbt and SQL
- Build automated unit and integration testing pipelines using frameworks like Cucumber, PySpark
- Create and manage CICD pipelines with AWS Code Pipeline/CodeDeploy or Jenkins
- Manage the orchestration of code artifacts with Kubernetes using helm charts and job orchestration with Apache Airflow
- Partner with the BI team to load right data sets into AWS Redshift or Snowflake
- Design and build data quality management services with Apache Deequ or Amazon DQAF
- Provide a variety of query services with REST, Athena/Presto, server sent events
- Run static and dynamic code scans with Prisma, Checkmarx, SonarQube etc.
- Configure and setup the enterprise data lineage and meta data management and data catalog support using tools like Collibra/Atalion
- Build appropriate logging of metrics and diagnostics in code to enable effective monitoring and data observability using Splunk, DataDog, Grafana or Prometheus
- Assist the data science ecosystem with data cleansing, wrangling and feature engineering on AWS SageMaker
- Perform code reviews with peers and ensure green builds for deployment
- At least 4-6 years building software engineering platforms and applications using Java, Scala, Go, Python and SQL.
- 4-6 year’s of experience with a modern data engineering platform on AWS using MSK, Kinesis, AWS EMR, AWS Athena, AWS Glue, lambdas, API Gateway etc.
- Experience with native cloud development on the AWS ecosystem and event-driven architectures and pub-subs like Kafka, Kinesis, AWS Event Bridge, Flink, web sockets and SSE is a must
- Experience with batch data processing using Apache Spark on AWS EMR is a must
- Experience with structured Spark streaming is highly desired
- Ability to assist the BI team in creating the right set of materialized views in a SQL data warehouse like Redshift/Snowflake
- Familiarity with machine learning and data science ecosystems especially AWS Sagemaker and Databricks is highly preferred
- Experience in building highly scalable data architectures using modern OLAP cube like Kylin, Apache Druid is a plus
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at [email protected]Privacy
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.