Senior NoSQL Database Administrator at DISH (Greater Denver Area)
DISH is a Fortune 200 company that continues to redefine the communications industry. Our legacy is innovation and a willingness to challenge the status quo, including reinventing ourselves. We disrupted the pay-TV industry in the mid-90s with the launch of the DISH satellite TV service, taking on some of the largest U.S. corporations in the process, and grew to be the fourth-largest pay-TV provider. We are doing it again with the first live, internet-delivered TV service - Sling TV - that bucks traditional pay-TV norms and gives consumers a truly new way to access and watch television.
Now we have our sights set on upending the wireless industry and unseating the entrenched incumbent carriers.
We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win - it's in our DNA. We're looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve, to join our team as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here. We are DISH.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
At DISH, we operate a very complex set of business-critical applications that facilitate Sales, Marketing, and Customer Service for various DISH products. The Database Admin is responsible for day to day operations and executing key initiatives for IT. The candidate must bring a strong desire to contribute to a fast-paced team, share ideas and be willing to learn. The ideal candidate has a strong background in database administration with Oracle and Mongo databases in an enterprise environment.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and implement NoSQL database solutions like MongoDB, DocumentDB and/or Couchbase in both Cloud Environments (AWS) and on-Prem Data Centers.
- Monitor and analyze database performance metrics to identify and resolve performance bottlenecks. Optimize query execution plans, indexing strategies, and caching mechanisms for efficient data retrieval. Implement scaling strategies to accommodate increasing data loads.
- Implement monitoring solutions to track the health, availability, and performance of cloud-based NoSQL databases. Configure alerts and notifications for critical events and proactively address issues.
- Diagnose and resolve database-related issues, such as connectivity problems, performance degradation, or data inconsistencies. Collaborate with development and infrastructure teams to troubleshoot and provide timely resolutions.
- Leverage automation tools to manage cloud-based NoSQL databases. Participate in 24x7 on-call support on a rotation basis.
- Provide DBA support for Enterprise Releases and Infrastructure Projects.
- Provide technical guidance to software developers in data modeling and database code optimization.
- Participate in projects associated with enhancements, upgrade/patching or implementation of new or existing technology solutions.
- Follow established standards and extend when/where applicable. Document new processes and procedures when required. Promptly Incident Reports to update/extend Knowledge Base.
Skills, Experience and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Computer science or Information Systems or an equivalent with a minimum of 5+ years database support along with a minimum of 3 years of recent experience in Mongo and/or PostgreSQL.
- Strong knowledge of NoSQL database concepts, architectures, and best practices.
- Deep knowledge in installing, configuring and maintaining enterprise database Technology environments such as MongoDB/DocumentDB or couchbase in private data centers and Cloud infrastructure (AWS).
- Expertise with NoSQL architecture, design and implementations.
- Experience directly working with customers, resolving database, systems and infrastructure related issues.
- Experience with Query and Database Optimization techniques.
- Familiarity with Monitoring tools like Mongo Operations Manager , CloudWatch
- Ability to multi-task and work independently on projects.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in high-pressure environments .
- Familiarity with MySQL is a huge plus.
Compensation: $100,100.00/Year - $145,000.00/Year
Compensation and Benefits
We also offer versatile health perks, including flexible spending accounts, HSA, a 401(k) Plan with company match, ESPP, career opportunities, and a flexible time away plan; all benefits can be viewed here: DISH Benefits .
The base pay range shown is a guideline. Individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, and competencies; compensation is based on the role's location and is subject to change based on work location. Candidates need to successfully complete a pre-employment screen, which may include a drug test and DMV check.