Senior Software Engineer (New York City, NY)
Media Engineering builds the software and systems that prepare media content and metadata for the Disney Streaming platform - providing the best possible playback experience to our viewers.
Media Engineering handles audio, video, and metadata content from ingest through publish - for normalization, processing, and packaging - supporting operator tools and automation for a scalable workflow. We build logic across players and back-end services to measure, control, and optimize playback across our stack.
Our combined Disney and Hulu team is looking for hardworking team players to join the Media Engineering team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company's direct-to-consumer (DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination.
The Video Playback Engineering team mission is to design video streaming playback solutions in collaboration with encoding, packaging, and delivery teams to optimize the Disney Streaming technology stack for the best streaming experience possible on all devices.
Our team is seeking someone who can fill the role of senior software engineer for our playback tooling and support operations. Our intention is design and develop a comprehensive suite of support software which will span testing and development across all the Disney direct-to-consumer brands like Disney+, ESPN, and Hulu.
Your focus will be on collaborating with teams from media packaging, delivery, and playback to ensure our support software provides a foundation for media playback innovation at Disney.
You are a person who enjoys working with other teams and technologies to understand their constraints. You enjoy the challenges presented by difficult problems and take pride in finding solutions which successfully thread the needle between design constraints, technical constraints, and the end experience of your users.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Design and implement solutions for new features which integrate with various Disney media services/back-ends.
- Collaboration and API design with peer teams in services and front-end development
- Research and development for media playback experiences, integration, and testing
- Participation in project planning and team operations
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
- 5+ years' experience in software engineering.
- 1 year experience with React, Vue, or other modern front-end framework.
- Strong verbal/written communication and data presentation skills.
- 10+ years' experience in software engineering.
- Proven track record at a senior software engineering level.
- Experience and expertise deploying web applications in the Amazon Web Services environment.
- Experience and expertise working with the HLS, transport stream, and CMAF media formats.
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
The hiring range for this position in California, North Carolina, and Washington state is $142,106.00 to $209,600.00 per year and in New York is $156,300.00 to $209,600.00 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.