Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
The mission for the Pipeline Platform team is to create an opinionated platform that all bioinformatics teams use to build their pipelines. We provide the runtime environment, infrastructure, and tools to support Invitae’s bioinformatics teams in the creation of new genetic tests. We address horizontal requirements like monitoring, alerting, security, and scalability at the platform level, which allows the bioinformatics teams to focus on delivering new tests to our customers quickly.
The genetic testing space is moving and expanding quickly. In support of the Invitae mission, our pipelines need to be reliable, scalable, and easy to build. We are looking for an engineering leader who can guide us through this transformation. Your experience, passion, and leadership skills will lay the foundation for Invitae’s continued success.
What you'll do:
- Lead the design and implementation of major software components, systems, and features.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve the software systems on the Pipeline Platform.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables aligned with the Pipeline Platform’s roadmap.
- Understand customer requirements and translate those into reliable and scalable system designs.
- Help level up the team through mentorship and training on design techniques and coding standards.
- Raise the technical bar for how we develop complex, scalable, and reliable systems.
- Create clarity out of ambiguous and complex problems.
- Advocate for engineering excellence and communicate the benefits of best practices to the team.
What you bring:
- Demonstrated ability to design and deliver complex and maintainable software systems and features.
- Mastery of a technical stack from infrastructure to application code.
- AWS, Python, Kubernetes (container-based environment), observability/metrics/monitoring, API design, DevOps,
- Experience balancing operations, maintenance, and new projects in a pragmatic way.
- Deep technical knowledge around web application architectures, APIs, and developer tools.
- Industry experience working with distributed, highly available systems.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills especially across distributed teams.
- Ability to communicate how engineering system design relates to company outcomes.
- Prior experience with bioinformatics.
- Prior experience moving workloads to the cloud.
- Prior experience managing large volumes of persistent data.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.