Wholesale Underwriting Consultant(Management Liability ,Private Company and Non- Profit Organizations) at CNA
This position will be solely focused on wholesale distribution business focused on the East region.
The Underwriting Consultant is responsible for using technical, sales and analytical skills to provide insurance solutions that help CNA's customers manage risk. The Underwriting Consultant will have a thorough understanding of CNA's strategies and appetites and will use internal and external data to make appropriate individual and portfolio risk decisions.
The Underwriting Consultant is responsible for the profitable growth of W holesale distribution business focused on the East region of business, utilizing underwriting policies and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations. The open position can be based in our Atlanta, NYC or Hartford(Glastonbury) office and is responsible for new business production and larger renewals to build and manage a profitable book of Management Liability (Private Company and Non- Profit Organizations) business through Wholesale distribution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Underwriting Expertise
- Reviews applications and financial requirements to determine acceptability of risk in accordance with CNA's guidelines and standards
- Uses all appropriate underwriting tools disciplines and knowledge of strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed
- Demonstrates technical underwriting skills through strategic, thorough account reviews and file documentation
- Prepares or analyzes information on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations in order to drive results within the assigned territory
- Keeps current on state/territory issues, regulations and trends
2. Portfolio Management
- Manages assigned portfolio to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix, new business and portfolio management goals
- Prioritizes time and resources to effectively manage and optimize producer performance
- Operates with an Enterprise perspective to identify cross sell opportunities and create growth within other lines of business and customer segments
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of CNA's products and appetite while clearly communicating CNA's position at the point of sale
3. Sales & Distribution Management
- Builds/maintains rigorous sales practices using all CNA systems including SalesForce.com and other sales tools and disciplines
- Develops producer relationships to build pipeline, agency intelligence, and drives performance to meet and exceed results
- Develops and implements distributor specific plans, monitors performance, and adjusts plan to ensure a substantial pipeline for future profitable growth
- Drives effective relationship management and customer activities to build trust, facilitate negotiation and secure commitment with the customer
- Proactively identifies cross-sell opportunities and partners with other underwriters to deliver comprehensive insurance solutions for the customer
Driven by our commitment to our customers, CNA's winning behaviors (externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, and continuously learning) distinguish us from our competitors. CNA employees exemplify these behaviors in all responsibilities and interactions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of underwriting processes, coverages, and tools to gather and evaluate information in order to reach appropriate decisions on renewals and new business
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment
- Ability to uncover customer needs, position specific solutions, handle objections and close deals
- Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority
- Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects