Underwriting Consultant (Excess Construction) at CNA
Come be a part of CNA's largest industry segment in our commercial book. CNA's Construction underwriting team provides primary lines and Monoline Excess Casualty coverages. We have deep expertise and unique solutions across Large Contractors, Middle Market Contractors and Specialized Products, including Contractors Professional Liability, Contractors Pollution, Contractors E&O, group captives.
Our team consists of dedicated primary lines and Excess Construction underwriters with deep relationships across a variety of long standing and nationally recognized industry group affiliations. Working together, they provide depth of experience and knowledge for our Agent/Broker partners and customers for coverages that matter most.
Open to the following locations: Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, or Littleton, CO
Individual contributor responsible for the overall management, business development, analysis and monitoring of a highly complex book of business. Recognized as a technical expert in an underwriting specialty. Under general management direction, works within broad limits of authority on assignments requiring a high degree of technical complexity and coordination. May have regional, industry segment or company-wide scope.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Works on highly complex underwriting risks employing diagnostic and systematic analysis to assess acceptability. Develops specialized endorsement language for highly complex risk.
2. Determines appropriate pricing of complex risks for assigned book of business based on financial and competitive analysis in line with compliance requirements and with little oversight needed from superiors.
3. Makes recommendations on underwriting policy and pricing strategy.
4. Analyzes quality, quantity, and profitability of highly complex risks underwritten; prepares and presents reports to management.
5. Markets products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community and makes field visits.
6. Develops and maintains agency and/or broker relationships with large producers within the assigned territory to reach positive and profitable outcomes on complex, high-risk business.
7. Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May participate in industry trade groups.
8. Mentors and guides less experienced underwriters and assists in the development of underwriting training.
9. Utilizes advanced functionality in relevant CNA systems to perform day-to-day activities.
10. Responsible for special underwriting projects and presentations.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Advanced technical expertise, underwriting skill and high level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
2. Strong communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
3. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
4. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
7. Demonstrated leadership skills.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum eight years underwriting experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.