Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re high growth? In January 2021, Whatnot had 10 ambitious employees. Today, the Whatnot team is 120+ employees and will exceed 300 by year end. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.
The small but mighty Strategic Partnerships team is seeking a motivated and experienced individual to drive new relationships for our top seller, media and brand partners. You will be at the forefront of a cross functional, multi disciplinary group supporting on bringing new partnerships to Whatnot for the Go To Market team. The Strategic Partner Manager will be a foundational role to building long-standing relationships with our top partners. If you possess strong relationship-building skills, love the art of the deal, being part of a new team, and enjoy working cross-functionally to bring to life and launch our key partnerships, this is the role of a lifetime.
The Strategic Partnerships team is seeking a go-getter who will drive the partnerships from initial outreach, through deal close, then managing the relationships and optimizing partnership success. As we are in the early days, you will also identify new ways to grow the partnerships after initial deal close so both partner and Whatnot can continue to build together in the many years to come.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Partnerships, the ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is comfortable in a high growth, quick decisions, environment and takes a proactive and strategic approach to partner management. You have past experience negotiating partnerships, and have the ability to bridge short term priorities with longer term strategy. Further, operational excellence is in your DNA and you love managing a robust pipeline, using Salesforce, diving into data and reporting key metrics. Specifically,
- Identify, initiate, structure, and negotiate on a pipeline of highly strategic sellers and negotiate strategic agreements for long term partnerships.
- Manage proactive reach out for highly strategic partnerships across numerous categories and support with timely follow up, data, and insights to help close the partnership.
- Scale, nurture, and optimize partnerships beyond launch, identifying incremental, mutually beneficial opportunities to grow the partnership.
- Support Strategic Partnerships team with operational excellence including pipeline updates and communications, weekly tracking, progress on deal terms and any blockers.
- Work collaboratively & cross-functionally with Partnerships, Go to Market, Marketing, Product, Engineering, Legal, and Finance teams and over communicate to each stakeholder to share our obligations and potential risks as articulated in each partnership.
- 5+ years of experience in a partner-facing role in the Internet, media/entertainment, and/or BD/Partnerships role
- Passion for the future of e-comm and working with various sellers, media companies, and brand partners across wide range of categories including Sports, Entertainment, Fashion, Music, Arts + Crafts, Pokemon, Funko, Comics, and various other collectibles categories
- Experience prioritizing and effectively motivating internal and external stakeholders to work towards a common goal
- Experience drafting business terms and working with legal teams to negotiate long form agreements
- Experience managing a pipeline of deals through a CRM system
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams to collaborate, and successfully close high value partnerships
- You have a consultative and creative solution partnership mindset and are resourceful, detail-oriented, highly organized and master communicator
🙏 Nice to Have
- An existing network of contacts at media companies, brands, top sellers, and talent agencies
- Passion for creator communities and/or existing Whatnot product categories (e.g. vintage clothing, collectibles).
- Experience buying and selling in online marketplaces.
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and No Meeting Holidays
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone, internet, or co-working space
- Up to $500 monthly to spend within Whatnot App
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $20,000 for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses