Senior Buyer at Whole Foods Market
Global Senior Buyer Bakery
The Whole Foods Market Global Bakery Procurement Team leads the company’s efforts to source ingredients, components, and finished product which support and inform the overall market strategy of our In-Store Bakery. Senior Buyers work with our suppliers, inventory planner's, global category managers, culinary development and other key stakeholders to execute procurement strategy on a broad range of categories for distribution to all Whole Foods Market stores in the United States and Canada.
The Global Culinary Team is a fast-paced, detail-oriented, and team-focused work environment. The position is based at WFM Global Headquarters in Austin, TX with a flexible hybrid remote option. This role reports to the Sr. Team Leader (Global Bakery Purchasing Manager).
- Coordinates request for proposals (RFP's) and manages internal bid process working towards formal business awards on global bakery programs.
- Provides strategic input in areas including:
- Demand planning and forecasting,
- Supply plan development,
- Management of supply agreements and contracts,
- Supplier selection and relationship management,
- Cost forecasting and control,
- Develops and maintains category supply plans to support and inform retail objectives.
- Supports global inventory planners with purchasing execution and program launches.
- Tracks, manages, and reports on cost of goods pricing performance of key bakery categories to drive continuous improvement and cost savings.
- Cultivates relationships with third-party vendors, shippers, suppliers, and other key external stakeholders.
- Negotiates, writes, and manages short- and long-term supply agreements.
- Measures supplier performance, quality, delivery, and cost.
- Manages global supplier relationships and leads regular business review meetings.
- Monitors commodity market and manufacturing trends to identify challenges, concerns and potential supply chain opportunities.
- Serves as internal expert on assigned RFP's and supports internal teams in supply chain planning and related efforts.
- Demonstrates and applies comprehensive understanding of buyer / procurement concepts, principles and practices.
- Leads efforts to establish and implement buying / procurement practices that meet company and customer expectations, ensure quality and maximize savings and efficiencies.
- Able to identify areas for continuous process and system improvement.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal communication skills and levels of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Communicates effectively with all types of audiences, internally and externally.
- Able to diplomatically resolve sensitive or controversial suppler issues without damaging relationships.
- Applies analytical skills to evaluate and interpret multi-faceted and complex purchasing, procurement, contract, delivery, quality, pricing and other issues.
- Integrates trends, data and information into forecasts, plans, models and recommendations.
- Possesses clear understanding of WFM’s and supported region / stores business objectives, competitive strengths and opportunities.
- Understands customer, market and industry trends and emerging challenges.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of the WFM product mix, supply base and retail operations.
- Able to play a key and influential role working with others, in groups, in cross-functional settings and with diverse stakeholders internally and externally.
- Intermediate to expert level excel skills
- Self-motivated, consistent follow through and superior organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize in a high pace environment.
- Models WFM principles and core values.
- Models commitment to customer service.
Education & Experience:
- BA/BS degree and 4-6 years’ relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Minimum 2 years of advanced negotiation experience
- Minimum 2 years of strong project management experience
At Whole Foods Market we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all team members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.