Sales Engineering Director - North America (Remote) at Fastly
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Sales Engineering Director - North America
As a Director of Sales Engineering you will play a key role selling Fastly’s products and services. You will be responsible for leading the North America Sales Engineers on the strategy and operations for delivering a superior technical win rate. You will collaborate with regional sales leaders in North America to ensure a consistent Go To Market strategy. You’ll need to have strong empathy for customers, ability for data-driven decision making, systems thinking and an ability to coordinate with many different decision-makers in an organization. Additional responsibilities include hiring, coaching, career planning, and compensation of Sales Engineering personnel.
What You'll Do
- Manage a team of Sales Engineers in North America across different regions and industry verticals
- Actively work with line SE managers to efficiently hire and onboard new SEs
- Work collaboratively with sales and client services leaders to deliver a smooth sales experience for the customer
- Engage directly with Sales Leadership to provide support for pre-sales activities across all Fastly solutions
- Manage a team of SE managers and provide them with direction
- Drive SE team enablement to support all required Fastly products and solutions along with required sales/soft skills
- Conduct regular 1:1’s with team members to provide constructive feedback and skills development
- Work cross-functionally with support, product management, engineering, and other organizations to ensure alignment with the field, provide process and product feedback and resolve critical customer situations
- Interact with customers and prospects as a Fastly senior sponsor
- Develop a close working relationship with Solutions to ensure alignment between pre and post-sales activities
What We're Looking For
- 8+ years experience in a pre-sales role, 5+ years managing a team
- Experience managing a team of 15+ SEs
- Experience in a pre-sales role partnering with Account Executives in selling to and growing SMB, Commercial and enterprise accounts
- Strong business acumen with a focus on seeing the “big picture” and relating Fastly technology to solving business problems.
- Background in Security, CDN, DNS, routing, caching, product/service management, internet protocols and website optimization and acceleration.
- Ability to quickly digest and respond to complex information in an appropriate manner
- Very comfortable interacting with business and technical focused leaders both inside and outside the company
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable keeping up with technology trends in cloud services
- Open, curious and receptive to new ideas and ways of doing things
- Travel domestically 30%
In accordance with applicable law, Fastly’s minimum base pay for this role if hired in Colorado is $216,000 per year, which includes an annual base salary of $162,000 and the ability to earn $54,000 in commission target compensation. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Fastly's equity plan. Final offer amount will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by multiple factors, including years and depth of experience and expertise, location and other business considerations. Note that this role is available to candidates outside of Colorado and different minimum compensation may apply.
Fastly is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees. This role is eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Medical: Cigna or Kaiser available
- Retirement benefits and employer match
- Life Insurance (Basic and Voluntary Life)
- Short & Long Term Disability with a buy-up LTD option
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefits
- Flex Spending Accounts & Mass Transit benefits
- Open Vacation Policy
- Sick Time
- Generous leave benefits (medical, maternity, paternity, and personal)
- Paid wellness days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning & reimbursement program stipend
- Mobile and internet allowance
- Wellness stipend
- Pet insurance
Fastly reserves the right to amend or modify for any reasons in accordance with applicable law.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.