Our company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Primary Activities & Responsibilities
- The Account Executive leads the development and implementation of long term Customer Account Plans. The AE collaborates with the customer team to identify and pursue areas of mutual opportunity (Payers and HCP's) based on better health outcomes for patients. Negotiates contract terms and conditions with the customer. Responsible for P&L (revenue/expenses) for the Payer business.
Customer Account Planning and Management
- Accountable for payer customer/portfolio P&L (revenue and expenses); works with other stakeholders (Customer Manager, Directors, Planners) to provide input on resource allocation decisions across customer targets within the larger geography.
- Serves as the primary interface and owner for the customer (payer) account and is responsible for the overall (payer) customer experience.
- Establishes relationships and maintains a pervasive communication network with the (payer) customer at many levels, including corporate personnel, medical directors in charge of provider networks, quality directors, pharmacy directors, financial directors, COO, CEO.
- Conducts business strategy discussions and performance reviews with key customers on a regular basis (plays a significant role in ensuring that the Director of Commercial Operations, Customer Team Leader(s), and understand the (payer) customer's business strategy and support it at the local HCP level)
- Proactively meet with (payer) customers to solicit feedback and adjust plans on a regular basis
- Develop Customer Account plans aligned with Managed Care and brand strategies over a 3-5 year time horizon. Solicits input from Director of Commercial Operations, Customer Team Leader(s), and other relevant stakeholders to develop the long-term customer plan. Assesses competitor position as part of account plan development.
- Identifies, understands and can articulate the key drivers affecting the customers' business including the customer's long-term plan and objectives.
- Utilizes customer account strategy to define the objectives of the customer relationship
- Identifies potential customer issues and needs (clinical, financial, business)
- Collaborates with the customer to identify and pursue areas of mutual opportunity, focused on better health outcomes for patients
- Develop innovative contracting to support better health outcomes
- Identifies payer customer needs and, together with the Solutions Consultant and Solutions Manager, develops appropriate/relevant offerings and solutions (resources, programs, and services) to address customer needs and maximize value for the customer and our company.
- Leverages programs and services designed to improve treatment and better outcomes for patients
- Understand the types of resources, programs and services available in order to customize solutions that meet the customer needs.
- Pulls-through solutions
- Represents the voice of the customer and advocates on behalf of the customer in securing internal support for development and timely delivery of solutions.
- Coordinates and manages the communication process between customers and identified internal or external expert(s) and ensures customer needs are accurately identified and addressed
- Proactively identifies the internal and external experts needed to communicate complex clinical and scientific information to customers
- Based on customer needs, provide appropriate clinical support and knowledge related to our products.
- Communicates our company's activities that would be relevant to the Customer including promotional positioning (support of appropriate utilization) and/or provider quality and outcomes based activities.
- Provides feedback to and gains feedback from, the Solutions Consultant to ensure solution meets customer need.
- Interface with Contract Management and serve as the primary negotiator with the customer for product price discounts
- Develops negotiation strategy in collaboration with Financial-Contracting Manager/Director
- Develops innovative contracting to support better health outcomes
- Communicates actively with Customer Team Leader and customer team members regarding customer priorities, issues, and initiatives
- Coordinates with Customer Team Leader counterparts on a very frequent basis to ensure understanding of the customer's business issues and appropriately leverage opportunities to improve alignment between the HCP and Payer customers (identify issues, opportunities and interdependencies between Payers and Providers)
- Understands of the interplay of key MC customers and regional stakeholders (provider networks, state and local government, clients (employer and member)) to establish relationships with influencers that will impact the customer relationship and maximize customer value
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: MBA or equivalent
- Minimum (3) years of Managed Care experience in an account executive/leader role (e.g. Payer, Institutional, Integrated Delivery segments) or a minimum (5) years of combined Managed Care-related experience at the Associate Director/Director level (e.g. Customer Team Leader, Managed Care Marketing, Solutions, Planning)
- Demonstrated Business Acumen (understanding broad business implications through experience working in Marketing, Sales and/or Managed Care business)
- Strategic and Tactical Planning skills
- Consultative Selling skills with clinical and scientific knowledge
- 20% Overnight Travel
Our Human Health Division maintains a "patient first, profits later" ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: