Head of Business Development at Canopy (Salt Lake City, UT)
Canopy is a fast-growing SaaS startup in Draper, Utah building simple, efficient software for accounting firms. We are looking to revolutionize the accounting space with modern, user-friendly software for a neglected industry. We place strong emphasis on delighting our customers, spotting and solving problems, and being good people along the way. We recently closed a $35M Series BB from a top fintech venture fund.
We are hiring a Head of Business Development to help us build and expand our partnership ecosystem. We’d love someone with experience working in SaaS Business Development, but we’ll also actively consider a bright, hard-working, ambitious person coming out of strategy consulting or investment banking.
We began serious efforts to build out a Business Development function in 2021, and we have some very promising relationships and early-stage initiatives. We now need an enterprising leader dedicated full-time to turning these embers into a raging inferno.
In the short- to medium-term Business Development at Canopy will focus primarily on finding, negotiating, closing and managing partnerships with other companies in the accounting space who can help us sell Canopy’s products to their CPA firm clients. This will entail building relationships with the major players in the accounting software ecosystem.
In the longer term Business Development will focus on creating a partner ecosystem for Canopy’s user base of CPA firms.
This function will also touch on strategy and corporate development.
This is a unique opportunity to come into a well-capitalized venture-backed company that has already achieved product-market fit that’s poised for hypergrowth and have a critical impact on the success of the company by building out the business development function. For the right candidate this will be a career-defining role.
We are open to candidates working anywhere in the United States, provided they are open to monthly travel to our HQ in Draper, UT. Candidates based in Utah will work on a hybrid basis between their homes and our office in Draper, UT.
What You’ll Do:
- Familiarize yourself with Canopy’s market strategy and products and their place within the broader accounting software ecosystem.
- Identify, pursue, negotiate, close and manage mutually beneficial commercial partnerships.
- Build relationships across the accounting software industry.
- Attend industry trade shows and events.
- Work with executive leadership across every group at Canopy to ensure successful partnerships.
- Own the function. We’re here to support you in anything you need, but nobody is going to be looking over your shoulder. For an enterprising self-starter, this will be a dream job.
- This role will touch heavily on strategy and corporate development - two functions currently lead by the CEO.
Your Skills Include:
- 2-5 of years experience working in SaaS Business Development OR 1-5 years of experience in strategy consulting or investment banking.
- Ability to build from a solid foundation rather than simply optimize.
- Creation and execution of a strategic plan.
- Ability to self-start
- Effective communication
- Strategic and quantitative analytic skills
- Negotiations and deal-closing
Other Preferred Skills:
- Familiarity with the basics of the various types of commercial business development relationships.
- Familiarity with the accounting industry and software ecosystem is a plus but not remotely required.
We know many women do not apply for a job if they don't perfectly fit the description. We want you to apply anyway.
Benefits and Perks:
- Flexible PTO you’re actually encouraged to use
- 100% paid medical insurance premiums
- 12 weeks paid maternity and 2 weeks paternity leave
- Life insurance, long and short-term disability coverage
- Fully-stocked kitchen (Keto? Vegan? Flexitarian? Mandalorian? We’ve got you covered)
- Employee improvement budget to use however you see fit (e.g. books, courses, other improve-y stuff)
Canopy is an equal opportunity employer. Canopy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, marital status or veteran status.