Director of Business Development (Financial Institutions) at FreeWill (Remote)
FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has raised more than $5 billion for high impact nonprofits since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and our co-CEOs have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 5 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 200+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow quickly. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure. Check us out on Glassdoor!
About the role
We are looking for someone to lead our Financial Services business development function to help raise the next $1 billion for charity. This person will work closely with sales, marketing and R&D orgs in order to bring our comprehensive estate planning suite and stock donation capabilities to consumer banking and insurance companies.
This role will report to Kris Wiig. Vice President of Partnerships. Beyond competitive compensation and equity in a fast-growing startup, you'll get unlimited vacation, benefits, and the chance to learn and change the world alongside a world-class team.
Two key goals: Revenue and impressions
FreeWill has set compensation and a non-negotiation policy for fairness reasons (we don't think that an individual's pay should be determined by how comfortable they are negotiating). As a result, we like to be transparent and upfront about the compensation. When we make an offer, we provide multiple options so that employees can choose between compensation packages that prioritize salary or stock options. The offers for this role will be between $135K and $145K base + commission We also have historically offered competitive annual raises.
- Build and execute the sales cycle from prospecting to closure to achieve sales goals
- Grow FreeWill’s user base through strategic partnerships with financial institutions
- Manage strategic planning, negotiation and new partnership development for a group of the largest financial institutions and fintech providers
- Fine-tune value propositions through emails, calls and live sales pitches
- Ensure methodical deal management rooted in milestones, KPIs, and alignment with partners on opportunities of mutual interest.
- Closely collaborate with Product and Marketing teams to ensure client needs are being met
- Develop hypotheses for other verticals that may benefit from FreeWill’s product capabilities, and potentially grow the business development function based on those opportunities.
- 5+ years of strategic partnerships experience with Financial Services Institutions
- Thorough understanding of consumer banking and insurance industry dynamics and business models
- Strategic and product creativity to collaborate with leaders to develop new models of giving
- Strong executive presence, with the proven ability to influence senior leaders internally and externally, including at the C level
- Experience negotiating commercial deals with top financial institutions, including scaling such deals across multiple partners
- An operationally focused mindset, with an ability to build and lead teams through complex relationship management activities by setting a clear vision, and running tight processes
- Comfort moving quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Acts with integrity, professionalism, low ego, and high self-awareness
- Smarts, tenacity, and kindness
In addition to the immense personal and professional satisfaction you’ll gain from helping to raise $1T for high impact nonprofits in a kind and joyful work environment, full time employees at FreeWill are eligible for the following benefits:
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Option to work from our new, beautiful NYC office, located in the Financial District
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.