The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
The Technical Program Manager will collaborate closely with product and engineering leaders to ensure that future, in progress and completed work is visible and clear to all levels of the organization.
A day in the life could include:
- Ensuring that our portfolio board is accurate, up to date, and pulling in work items from across teams
- Coordinating with product and engineering leaders to enable easier communication on roadmap progress to senior leadership
- Surfacing and reporting on lean portfolio metrics such as cycle time, aging work in progress and throughput
- Identifying blocker trends across our portfolio and engaging others to resolve them
- Managing dependencies and related communication on key projects
- Identifying and managing risks related to portfolio item progress
- Surfacing any potential priority questions and manage their resolution with appropriate stakeholders
- Managing Work in Progress (WIP) limits and being an advocate for capacity planning and related Lean Kanban management techniques
- Training team members on how to use the portfolio board, break down work items and focus on business value
- Drive continuous improvement on portfolio management-related processes
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 5+ years of technical project, product, or program management experience
- Ability to turn incomplete, conflicting or ambiguous inputs into concrete action plans
- Extensive experience working with agile product and engineering teams in startup and/or rapid-growth environments
- Experience running interactive retrospectives to shift processes forward, collaboratively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with engineers about technical features and product architecture
- Experience in Lean/Kanban methodologies and best practices required in Software Development Life Cycles
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.